Prescription Bottles / Seed Storage

Page 1 of 2
Somewhere in my garden reading was a suggestion to use these for storing seeds. There were also instructions on how to easily remove the labels and the sticky stuff left behind. Was it here by chance? I have tried the plastic version of Goo Be Gone and it doesn't work well. It seems like it was something easy like ammonia or witch hazel ?? Anyone have an idea? MJ

I save all kinds of containers for reuse. Easiest thing to do is physically tear off what label you can and just put masking tape over remains and use marker to label contents.
In article

Ammonia, sounds right. Ammonia solutions are also used at wineries to remove labels that went on poorly (usually timing in the labeling machine with front and back labels), so that they can be re-labeled.
--
- Billy

Dept. of Defense budget: $663.8 billion

Too much work... I use paper envelopes (cheap if you buy 500 from an office supply mail order place) in an airtight food storage bin with a hinged lid. A couple of bottles of silica gel with screen tops at the end to keep things dry. Works really well; I've got beet seed 10 years old that still germinates well. Of course, the ultimate is something vapor-tight in the freezer. I'm packing up a bunch of envelopes of stuff I have a lot of for a seed swap in a couple of days. Good way to cross-pollinate with other obsessed gardeners! For those in the Type II club, has anybody tried the small test strip vials? They have some sort of desiccant liner, so ought to work pretty well for small seeds.
Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic Zone 5/4 in upstate New York, 1420' elevation. NY WO G

I'm a home brewer so I save those yeast vials. They will hold about 2 ounces of okra seed and the screw cap seals well.
Great idea on the test strip containers btw!

Oh my gosh !!! We have home brewed for 17 years and owned a home brew supply store for over 8. I never thought of yeast vials. I have an attic full of them. Never mind the prescription bottles!! Where are you located? MJ

Oh my gosh !!! We have home brewed for 17 years and owned a home brew supply store for over 8. I never thought of yeast vials. I have an attic full of them. Never mind the prescription bottles!! Where are you located? MJ
Western NC

Where do you get supplies? We had the store in Morrisville, outside of Raleigh / Cary area.

Where do you get supplies? We had the store in Morrisville, outside of Raleigh / Cary area.
I used to buy from the Hendersonville store, (Jack is a friend) but now go to Hops & Vines or Asheville Brewers Supply.

Have you ever tried to grow hops in your area? We were part of a study that a bunch of NC State students did out that way. Seems that they did quite well but it sure is a big undertaking. We planted some in Cary with no success at all. Had some in the store and the cat ate them. It was still fun to play with.
Have you ever tried to grow hops in your area? We were part of a study that a bunch of NC State students did out that way. Seems that they did quite well but it sure is a big undertaking. We planted some in Cary with no success at all. Had some in the store and the cat ate them. It was still fun to play with.
The guys I brew with have 10 or so different varieties. We had a couple of pounds or so to play with last winter. We have some new hop farms in the area. I saw some local Cascade advertised for sale last fall. The Ag Ex folks are pushing anything except tobacco.

I purchased some from Nichols about 35 years ago. It is a vine here and borders on being a noxious weed. Pull it up and the little roots come on.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

"The best fertilizer is the gardener's shadow." - Anon

If you will mulch that vine heavily late fall the spring shoots will be white, tender and delicious!

We are planning a trip that way later in the spring. We would love to check it out. We are opening a Brew Pub before the end of the year, how cool would it be to be able to use "local" hops! MJ
In article

Depends on their quality. Some regions aren't amenable to growing top quality hops.
How about "organic"? <http://www.eelriverbrewing.com/index.html
Drinking Problems
Symptom Fault Action to be Taken
Drinking fails to give Mouth shut or glass Buy another pint, and satisfaction and taste: applied to wrong practice before mirror. shirt front wet part of face. Continue with as many pints as necessary until drinking technique is perfect.
A man is not drunk, who from the floor can rise again and drink some more But he is drunk who prostrate lies, and cannot drink, and cannot rise.
Drinking late at night, can lead to pregnancy.
--
- Billy

Dept. of Defense budget: $663.8 billion

Our hops are organic and our beers are winning awards, so I guess the hops are quality. We did have one small bag that wasn't properly dried and had some decomp issues. We're still learning about growing hops, got nothing left to prove about brewing or meadmaking. Steve

Steve, what varieties are you experimenting with and whats your results been so far?

Steve, what varieties are you experimenting with and whats your results been so far?
This is only our third year. So far the best production has been from Nugget and an heirloom Hallertau mittlefru. Columbus and Centennial have been slow growers. Newport has done fairly well, but the flavor is lacking. I can't remember the others just now, we have 10-12 varieties. Would give the left cahonne for some Simcoe, Amarillo and/or Citra!
I'm exhausted, been out hunting morels most of the day. It's a good tired though, got about 3 pounds! Steve
Would give the left

Ya, you might have to put the right one on the table as well.
I did a quick peek at a few places here for your varieties and demand, if they had it, seems as high as ever. Lots of chatter that some big orders came in.

You old dog you...ya just had to rub it in! Hell, I would give your left cajone for just a lb of those. A bit rare here. Might have to research feasibility of cultivating them again.

Do you mean after it was dead or did it survive the meal with some bad breath?