Pickling

Anyone have advice on what kind of cucumbers to buy for pickling. I'm leaning toward buying from johnny's seed. The ones they say are the best for pickling are northern pickling, alibi and little leaf. Anyone know a better one. I'm in zone 5 with lots of clay. And i don't get lots of sun.

Thanks for any info Romy

Reply to
Romy Beeck

The best pickling cucumber we've grown in the past few years has been one called "Calypso". Prolific producer of nicely shaped fruit. We get the seeds from Vesey's Seeds in PEI.

Southern Ontario, Canada. New AgCanada Zone 5b

43º17.446' North 80º13.472' West To email, remove the obvious from my address.
Reply to
Ross Reid

I found the Early Cluster or Russian from RH Shuway to be an excelent cuke for pickles and just eating.They are a tiny bit sweeter than my other favorite Wisconsin Pickling is sold by Harts Seed. Shumway web site

Try both out I'm positive you will be pleased.Both will keep producing up to frost time if you keep them picked. For late cukes plant some the few days following 4th of July.

Reply to
JRYezierski

I was pleased with the productivity and traditional pickley shape of "homemade pickles." The overgrown ones made good salad, too. Don't know if johnny's carries them but many catalogs do.

Kathy

Reply to
Kathy

I just ordered some seeds for "Homemade Pickles" from Pinetree Garden Seeds. The URL is

In the past I have used "Double Duty" from Burpee.

Reply to
The Cook