overwintering carrots

I have a nice crop of carrots this year that I would like to try to harvest through the winter. Do I need to cut the tops off of them before I cover them with straw, or should I just let the tops lie on the ground?
Just curious,
IC_Gardener Iowa City, Iowa Zone 5A
ic snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes:

I left them as they were, much easier to find to harvest them. So very good when left for that extra sweetness. :-)
Glenna