Re: Carrots & Eggplant

First time veggie gardener here. I planted a variety of veggies last

>Spring and so far, so good. But I had never planted eggplant and >carrots and have no idea when I should pick them? > >Do I need to actually see the eggplant and carrot before I pick them >or are can they be picked when they reach a certain size? > >I planted in May and right now they are pretty big. The carrot plants >are at least 12-16 inches high and very full, but I do not see any >carrots. >

Carrots are a root crop. If you sweep some of the dirt away with your finger you may see the top of the carrot. If it looks bigger then a dime you can pull it. Make sure your ground isn't hard, if it is wet the area down before you pull it or the top may break off. If it isn't big enough make sure you put the dirt back over it or the carrot will turn green from the sun.

>The eggplants are also very full but again, I see nothing >

You will see them when they form and they form above ground. This is my first year with eggplant myself, but I was told to pick them when they are a little bigger then your fist.

>Help. I'd hate to lose great veggies because of ignorance on my part > >Thanks, > >slider > >
Reply to
Brian

You'll see the eggplants all right: they grow above the ground.

Pull one carrot up: then you can see how big the carrot is. It's the root, it grows underground. Small, young carrots are pretty nice, sweet and good. Larger ones have the virtue of being..well...larger. They probably store better too.

The eggplants must first have flowers, then they will form (very obvious) fruits. They take quite a while: mine haven't flowered yet.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Meadows