Onions.

How can something that brings tears to your eyes. And be so hot and oniony.
Taste so sweet and delectable after pan frying them....
UM UM Um Um UMMM UMMM UMMMMMM!!!!!
Diesel.
DogDiesel wrote:

:) garlic is good raw and cooked too.
songbird

;>) You gotta try pickled garlic! I added some whole cloves to my pickled hot banana peppers and the garlic is definitely the best part. Steve

Any chance for a recipe for your brine ?
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://marshallmcluhanspeaks.com /

Bill, I just packed my peppers and garlic into sterile jars, Added some peppercorns, allspice, clove, bay leaf and a teaspoon of canning salt per quart. Then I boiled 2 parts cider vinegar to one part water, filled the jars, sealed and processed 30 minutes in a water bath (no pressure). By adding the spices directly to the jars one can vary the flavors greatly. One jar of jalapenos got a 1/2 cup of sugar, another some mustard and celery seed. I think any garden veggie can be pickled this way. A friend pickles carrot sticks with green beans along with garlic and a serrano. Asparagus and okra are good as well.
Steve Peek wrote:

Why would anybody waste asparagus pickling it. This is so sad, I'm shocked and saddened, at a loss for words... I can't go on....such a travesty....the forces of evil are going to triumph .....

Those of us who are blessed with more than we can possibly eat fresh must find some way to preserve! Steve
Steve Peek wrote:

i had some dilly beans given to me by a friend and they had some garlic in there. it was good, but i'm not really much of a dill pickle kind of person. instead...
there is a commercial product (or there used to be) called garlic pickle (from a company called Patak's which does other spice jars and mixes too from India). it is nothing like an american pickle it is more like a spiced relish mix often with dates onions, golden raisins, etc.
it is wonderful stuff, my gf of the time and i would eat it on toast or right out of the jar. i could never really figure out the recipe, but have always wished i could as we grow plenty of garlic and i'd like to have a good way of using it.
anyways, i'm not really much into dill pickles or things like that, but i do like pickled beets and three (or more) bean salad. i won't be making more of those until next summer so i'll have to remember to put some in a batch and see if we like that addition.
songbird
Steve Peek wrote:

No roasted is better.
On 11/20/2011 11:22 PM, DogDiesel wrote:

You still ain't seen heaven til you've eaten grilled slices of sweet onion.