Mushrooms Anyone?

Does anyone here grow mushrooms? It's sort of like gardening. I planted a bed of giant morels out near the vineyard last year and hope for a crop this spring. I also have a small pan in my basement greyhouse (as opposed to my wife's greenhouse) but I've heard if's very difficult to grow them inside.
I also put shitake spawn plugs into four segments of oak logs; they started producing fruit in the last month or so.
Paul

I grow shiitake and oyster mushrooms and I've been picking wild mushrooms for about 30 years. I know of a good many people who have tried the morel kits and have failed, so best of luck to you. Steve

Why is that? Is it the quality of the kit, the difficulty of starting this variety, or something else?

There are about 70 different species in the genus Morchella. Many are symbiotic with other plant species. The only one that I know of that is not {and consequently reasonably easy to grow to fruiting (at least for 1 season)} is the burn site morel. Kits have been sold for many years, but I'm still doubtful of the success rate. The average gardener should pick something easy and proven like oyster mushrooms, etc., etc... Steve

a short time and the info is appreciated. I to had a failure of morels and didn't quite understand what to attribute it to.

If you have the interest you should look for the website for the North American Mycological Association (NAMA for short). There are clubs all over the country. Steve

Thanks again!

That's encouraging. The morels I bought are supposed to grow best on a burn site according to the booklet that came with the spawn, so that's probably what I have. I worked a lot of ashes and oak chips into the soil before innoculating, as advised by the booklet and various Internet sites.
Paul