Growing mushrooms

Besides buying an expensive mushroom kit ($20-40), is there a simple and cheap way to grow your own mushrooms? The results I found using google were dismal. One website included instructions for growing mushrooms such as this "Boil a bale of hay in a 55 gallon drum". Well as fun and safe as that sounds, its a bit out of my gardening expertise. I do have access to used coffee grounds, which I read could be used as a substrate for mushrooms (I'm interested in growing button mushrooms).

Any advice is welcome

Reply to
DBB

For an excellent publication on mushroom produstion, see

Dick Adams

well, you will have to boil a bale of hay in a 55 gallon drum, then spawn it. You can just wet a bale of hay, and grow bacteria instead. But you could also buy 1000 plugs and with them spawn a ton or so of freshly cut logs (not so freshly cut, you have to wait about one month so that their fungicides dissipate). Then for $20 you would have quite a bit of mushrooms for years to come. if you have stumps in the shade, you could inoculate those, and then you'd get mushrooms for many years, but I should warn you that my stumps never made it. About 50% of my logs do produce.

Reply to
simy1