Mushrooms Again

Attached are photos of mushrooms growing on my garden. Which I get ever

year due to 2 rotting tree stumps, but not normally so large. Jus concerned if dangerous as I have a 3 year old daughter.

Can anyone help

Thank

+------------------------------------------------------------------- |Filename: DSCF1384b.jpg |Download:
CJS

I suggest you pick up a bag of hydrated lime from a tile supply store. Note: "Pulverized lime" sold in the box stores is just ground up seashells and is much slower to react. The lime will increase the pH and get rid of mushrooms and moss, but it is very dusty.

Reply to
Stubby

I agree withthe pp. Everyone says that one cant' tell in the US what is edible by looking at it. The mushroom growers started with edible mushrooms and don't add anything new, afaik.

There was a SouthEast Asian family in California a few years ago who went picking mushroopms, and found those that looked like the ones they ate back home, and all or almost all of them died.

Aiui, they grow up in one night -- is that really true -- so if the lime prevents mushrooms, that's probably the thing to do.

But congratulations for thinking of this problem in advance.

mm

"Everyone says that one cant' tell in the US what is edible by looking at it."

That of course is untrue. There's nothing specific about mushrooms in the US that makes them any harder to identify that mushrooms anywhere else in the world. There are numerous clubs around the country for mushroom aficionados that go out and pick wild mushrooms all the time. I pick them myself, having learned specific ones that are edible and how to identify them from my grandparents a long time ago. Every horror story I've ever heard was from someone who behaved like a total idiot, didn't bother to learn anything about what they were doing, and just went out and picked something that looked tastey.

I'm not advocating anyone should or needs to do this. Just that if done properly it's no more dangerous than many other activities that people engage in all the time.

Reply to
trader4

For the record, I wasn't saying that it is harder in the US. I spoke about the US because that is the only area I know.

I'm not surprised you took it the way you did. I often see, especially regarding politics, business, everyday life, Americans speaking about the US as if, it seems to me, they are saying things are different here from other places or every other place. I don't know for sure they mean that, but most are not qualified to speak about the rest of the world and they only imagine what it is like there. I'm not qualified either, but I've traveled outside the US a bit and seen enough that I didn't expect to know I'm not qualified.

I did consider it possible that in some areas there were NO poisonous mushrooms, just like in Maine there are, I'm told, no poisonous snakes. I get strange comfort from that when I'm hiking in Maryland, if you want to know how easily confused I am.

Fair enough. Thanks for the correction. Maybe he could find a club near him which could come out and check. Although even then, if the ones growing now were safe, would that mean that all the ones next month or next year would be? I know that some toddlers will eat everything they can find, so I don't think any system that left them growing when she was outside would work..

mm

living in the Pacific Northwest mushrooms are just part of life here. Ciscoe Morris, the gardening guru of the University of Washington, and who has a garden question and anwer show says the only thing to do about mushrooms is get your golf club out and practice your swing. That will get rid of them for awhile.

Reply to
Muvin Gruvin