Blue Spruce Going Brown

Hi,
We have a tree that my parents bought for us when we moved into our
home. We think its a blue spruce.
However in the last few months the lower, inner branches are turning
brown and crisp. I've attached some photos. There is new growth on the
end of the branches.
We're desperate not to lose this tree so I'd really appreciate an
opinion.
Thank you.
Steve
|Filename: IMG_1598.jpg |
|Download:
||Filename: IMG_1593.jpg |
|Download:
Reply to
Sandman1600
Thanks for the reply.
We?re just outside a city though and there?s no deer anywhere round here. We get foxes and cats but little else.
This browning is mainly on the inner, lower part of the tree which I wouldn?t have said was easily accessible for foxes or cats though. There?s another plant around the base of it which makes it even harder for them to access.
We had really cold temperatures and heavy snow earlier in the year if that could be a factor?
It?s also planted in a relatively shallow bed of soil... about 2 to 3 feet.
My main concern is that it?s disease or something else that needs treating to halt it.
Thanks again.
Reply to
Sandman1600
Spruce doesn't like wet soil, if it's in a low spot that stays wet for extended periods that could be the problem.
Reply to
penmart01
Not sure if your climate or location would necessarily have these problems, but here are specific pics of needle browning that might match and give hints.
Reply to
Boron Elgar
Sandman1600 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@gardenbanter.co.uk:
Might not be anything particularly terrible. Inner/lower branches of spruce normally die off as the tree grows and they don't get enough light. Dryness can accelerate the process.
Reply to
Alfred Falk
Thanks again for all the replies.
Looking at that link, it does look very similar to Rhizosphaera needle cast... how it's browning but new shoots appearing on the ends of the "dead" branches.
I've uploaded another photo with a closer look at the needles... are these dots not what needle cast looks like?
Reply to
Sandman1600
I confess that is out of my area of knowledge. Does one have local agricultural services provided by government there? We call them "extension" services and they can often provide information specific to the area about growing, blight, etc. If you have such, you might want to check there.
Reply to
Boron Elgar

Site Timeline Threads

  • Was at the local Woodcraft today. As I was walking out, I saw a sign for a sale...
  • site's newest in

    Woodworking