What soil for planters?

I am working on a new deck. You can see the plans here:

My first step is to buy soil. These being large planters I figured I would
buy garden soil. But the bags clearly state for in-ground use. That leaves
potting soil!?
I'm hoping to plant native perennials. Would they like potting soil?
Don
e-mail at page bottom.
Reply to
Don Wiss
See "My Potting Mix" at . You will find that it takes a large amount of sand and peat moss and much effort. However, the results are usually excellent; and it does not cost much.
Note that you might have to adjust the proportions, depending on what kinds of plants you are planting. For example, if you are in southern California (as I am) and use native plants from this area, you will need to increase the amount of sand relative to peat moss because our natives require perfect drainage. You will also have to reduce the sulfates since our natives are accustomed to alkaline soils. Etc, etc.
Reply to
David E. Ross
I'm in Brooklyn. While the Butterfly Weed (Asclepias tuberosa) would like a sandy soil, I think most here would not.
I need 22 cubic feet of soil. Mixing it on the deck just isn't feasible. There is no yard. There are no wheelbarrows.
After I posted I found this Raised Bed Soil:

I can have 15 bags delivered.
Don.
(e-mail link at home page bottom).
Reply to
Don Wiss
On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 21:43:24 -0400, Don Wiss wrote:
Assuming you'll be placing clay planters in those wooden boxes potting soil should be quite adaquate. I would definately not be placing any kind of planting medium directly into those wooden boxes or they'd rot within the year.
Reply to
penmart01
I certainly do plan to put soil directly in those planters. They are teak, and I expect them to last more than a year.
Don.
(e-mail link at home page bottom).
Reply to
Don Wiss
On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 23:50:27 -0400, Don Wiss wrote:
I used cedar lumber for on-ground raised beds and for compost boxes and learned that it starts to rot away after a few years when in contact with the ground - I thought it would last longer. The upper parts that had some amount of air-drying, were still solid after 10 + years .. .. not sure if teak is similar ?
Reply to
hubops
All tropical hardwoods are better than non-tropical hardwoods. How the tropical ones compare to each other I have no idea. Teak is popular on boats.
You are correct about being on the ground is bad. I hope on the deck gets some circulation underneath.
Don.
(e-mail link at home page bottom).
Reply to
Don Wiss

Site Timeline Threads

  • Was at the local Woodcraft today. As I was walking out, I saw a sign for a sale...
  • site's newest in

    Woodworking