Mattie Beane green beans

Just got home from the seedswap (was snowed out in Feb) and these were among the seeds I got . It's really too bad the swap didn't go off in February when it was originally scheduled , some of the stuff won't get planted until next year because it's too late now . But some will ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

is it getting too hot down there already?

i've not heard of them before. we're always planting at least one patch of green and waxed beans as i love eating them fresh right there in the garden and we steam them or make some bean salads for canning...

the rain last night teased us with a few sprinkles here or there, better than nothing, but we still need a good rain.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I'm not sure if it's too late to plant , but I do know the blue lake beans I planted (twice now) either aren't germinating or they're being dug up by "critters" . And about that rain thing , if I could I'd for sure send some your way . We're getting very heavy rain , comes in waves . If you look at the radar , the lines of thunderstorms that are building and coming from the west have caused major problems all over Arkansas . We live in north central , and it rained so hard for a short time yesterday afternoon it overwhelmed my drainage measures and I had water running across the floor of my machine shop . Today I have a lot of flash rust on mt machine tools , and I ain't happy about that . Some area are experiencing major flooding , I haven't been out today but expect our (dirt/gravel) road has a couple of places washed out . Only thing that keeps it passable is that bedrock is only a couple of inches below the surface .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I may have mentioned that we always grew either Blue Lake or Kentucky Wonder beans but this year planted Kentucky Blue, a cross between the two above. Seem to be doing well for us and I've already put up 18 pints and we're eating green beans as a side at least twice a week.

You're getting the rain that passed over us, looking at the regional satellite I see the storms going from Houston area up to your area Terry. I had to empty the rain gauge again this morning as it was running over at the six inch mark. That's roughly a week's worth of rain. Forecast is more of the same, most of it coming from the Yucatan Peninsula and farther out. That's one of the reasons we have raised beds with porous ground cover under the bed so the plants don't drown. Our property is about four inches of sand on top of five feet of gumbo clay and beneath that is the original soil for the area. Builders raised the five feet to avoid the federal flood insurance but it sure screwed up growing anything but grass.

My mother's family were Arkansawyers, they were among the Cherokees who moved out there before Andrew Jackson drove the rest to Arkansas. Lived around where Berryville is now and Mom was actually born in Oklahoma as they moved there in the 1890's, she was born in Shawnee, OK in 1905, the last of ten children.

Bright sunshine here today and hitting 80+ soon. Take heart, maybe the rain will hold off for a few days.

We picked squash and cucumbers again yesterday, green beans are blooming again as of this morning. I reckon the Super Bloom helped and the sunshine really helped.

Reply to
George Shirley

Terry Coombs wrote: ...

in heavy clay soil they may have trouble getting out of the soil after sprouting. plant two in each hole and snip one after they get going. or mix a bit of shredded cardboard or well rotted wood chips into the soil used to cover the seeds so it isn't so compacted by watering.

we had a short downpour yesterday and i was hoping for more later but they missed us again. still at least we finally had a bit more than a sprinkle. more rain forecast and that's good if we get it. will be starting to get plants and seeds out this week.

we'd have flooding over roads here too if we had as much rain as you guys have gotten down there recently.

i hope it won't be too much work or disruption to improve your drainage.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I just checked the rain gauge this morning. From 1600 yesterday until about 0400 this morning we got an even four inches of rain. Had emptied the gauge yesterday morning so it's accurate. Lots of lightning, including some chain lightning and lots of tornado reports from the weather folk but none hit us.

This morning the sun is out and it appears to be coming on a pretty day.

Reply to
George Shirley