Is a Big Hunk of Steak Worth Almost 2,000 Gallons of Water?

Page 6 of 13

I'm well aware that chickens will eat insects in preference to grain, (mine also loved it when I found a rats nest with pinks in it and tossed the pinks to them to eat)...
But COWS???
Cows eating meat is very much news to me?
--
Peace! Om

yup. they will happily munch down ground nesting bird eggs & hatchlings, as well as mice & baby bunnies. granted meat is a small part of their diet, but they aren't completely vegetarian if the opportunity for meat is present. lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

Really! Learn somthin' new every day. :-)
--
Peace! Om

There were sheep somewhere way up north in Scotland that were found to be eating little pelagic seabirds that were nesting on the coastal rocks. It turns out that the soil was very deficient in calcium, so the grass was, too -- they think the sheep were eating the little birds for the Ca in their bones.
Jan

Hmmm... You seem to be agreeing to some of the presuppositions.

True statement above. However, that statement does not mean the presuppositions and the relations are false. It is a theory that can be tested for the truth. It may be that there is a relation between animals that eat a wider variety of food and smarter animals DOES mean the variety of food caused the smartness.
Enjoy Life ... Dan
--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.

In article

lame analogies in support and then proclaim yourself victor?

Why don't we see large groups of societies of strict carnivores that has existed for hundreds?

very clever in designing a bomb that could destroy the world but, that wasn't very smart, was it.
What other animal has brought the planet to the abyss of destruction? We are good at conceptual thinking. That is our only edge but there are other forms of intelligence. Some animals know when to head for high ground before a tsunami. Others know the shortest distance to bring down a prey or how to migrate by following the constellations or magnetic fields.

--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Wrong analogy here Billy, you can do better than this :)
Many humans also know when to head for high ground before a tsunami (run). Many humans also know the shortest distance to bring down a prey (radar gun). Many humans also know to NAVIGATE by following the constellations (sextant) or magnetic fields (compass).
Are those really intelligence or physical skills. After all a lowly insect can kill a human. I would not necessarily call insects intelligent.
Intelligent people did design the bomb and it did end the war. No one has yet destroyed the world. Science as the saying goes "A double edge sword". Inventions can be used for good and evil. Intelligent people can kill sometimes for a good reason or for an evil reason. "Might makes right" ... Did I just quote a another stupid saying :)
Again - Cows are stupid compared to humans (on average). Remember - I did say on average :)
I know how you think Billy... so here are your answers. My Definitions. GOOD person - One that benefits the tribe in which they live within. EVIL person - One that harms the tribe in which they live within.
Stirring up a hornets nest is time consuming, I need sleep ... Dan
--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 23:31:01 -0400, Dan L. wrote:

Expand your tribe to include all of humanity, and you are on to something.

Don't stop at humanity. Include all of the animals as well, and then throw in plants and basically all forms of life. *Then* you are on to something.

I have no clue how Billy thinks and dont care. Reminds of the guy who studied the Challenger space shuttle loss. He wrote a book entitled What do you care what someone else thinks.
<(Amazon.com product link shortened) 1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid18063124&sr=1-1>
Richard P. Feynman who played the drums too.
Bill lost in duality especially when a tick bites.
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Oh gods that sounds good! I have some squash in the 'frige I need to use...
I was considering setting up the deep fryer this weekend for some shrimp. I ended up poaching the catfish fillet's I had thawed this morning.
--
Peace! Om

On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 15:17:21 -0700, Zootal wrote:

Baby steps. We don't want to scare anybody.

As for the human race. If part of the world wants to restrict my speech, which God to worship and tell me how to live my life. Then they are NOT members of my tribe and I will consider them EVIL and I will resist them completely!
If the the world wants to adopt a one world government that provides maximum personal freedoms to everyone. Then I will consider them GOOD, In which I am not against expanding my tribe to the entire world.
=== As for animal rights, I believe it is wrong to torture any animal or to allow it suffer. I am not against hunting or using animals for food or for products as long as its death is done quickly as possible. Keeping egg laying hens locked up in a cage where it cannot move an inch is wrong in my world view. Putting acid in rabbits eyes for chemical testing is wrong in my world view. Dog fighting and bullfighting would end as I see it as torture. Horse and dog racing would be allowed as long the animal is not suffering.
If an animal is used for medical research and it shows any kind of suffering, the research should end. Even if it shows that the research can improve the health of other humans.
I have been buying my chickens, eggs and grass beef from my neighbor long before I have read "Omnivores Dilemma". Before I read that book, I did not know about the farm factories. I though at the time, all food animals was raised the way my neighbor raises them. My eyes were opened once again. As for plants. If it is edible or visually pleasing I consider that plant GOOD and treat the plants with the best of care to my knowledge. If the plants are weeds I consider those plants EVIL - I will destroy them quickly. Same goes to Microbes and Martians (I wonder if Martians are tasty).
Enjoy Life ... Dan
--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.

In article

The only way to unite the planet that way would be to have an extraterrestrial invasion...
--
Peace! Om

On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 11:50:48 -0500, Omelet wrote:

There could be an attack staged from within, that looked like an alien attack. You know, just to drum up support.
sf

;-)
--
Peace! Om

I'll also whack an animal (as in put him out of my misery) that is being a pain in the ass, but otherwise I'm with you.

We have always had our own, but still I'm with you.

Ops, I'm afraid that at this point an am going to have to split with you.
Not only do I not take all that great care of my garden, but I don't even hardly mess with wild edible plants or most flowers.
Not only do I not treat all edible plants with the best of care, I actually have tendency to go out of my way to kill them and eat there raw flesh while it is as fresh as possible.
;-)

Weeds I only bother if they bother me.
;-)
In article

Thanks for finding the flaw in logic - will revise my notes to "all edible plants in my care" :)

Agreed, It would be an endless task ;-) Enjoy Life ... Dan
--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.

Your going to starve to death with that attitude, or you are evil. ;-)

*gasp!* How can you say such a thing! All life is precious, and no animal deserves to be killed and eaten! Plants have feelings too, and it is just plain cruel to eat them or even pull them out of the ground.
Oh, wait...you are right, I'll starve if I don't eat an animal or a plant...and soon...hmm...me or them....do I kill myself so I don't damage mother earth? I'm so confused!
/me cranks up grill and put slabs of dead animal on grill to cook while pondering the morality of eating anything at all.