Is a Big Hunk of Steak Worth Almost 2,000 Gallons of Water?

And during that same time period, that water also helped produce nearly 14 tons of that lovely organic matter that seems so hard to find for the poster in another thread, and leather, and in some cases, milk, etc. etc.. The manure alone has a tremendous impact on the reduction of those chemical based fertilizers so many on here rightfully discourage use of.

One pointed question begets another: 2000 gallons of water worth eliminating 14 tons of chemical fertilizer? Now how about if the majority of that water is also given back?

We all have to eat and watering a cow provides that and quite a few more beneficial by products, and the water is mostly returned, much of it within that organic material.

Watering a lawn produces... more lawn.

Seems to me that the target of the article overshot the mark a bit. Instead of pointing directly at the food supply as a major water abuser, perhaps simply suggesting a few less flushes, showers, or lawn sessions would be more appropriate unless the objective was actually reducing meat consumption.

Reply to
JustTom

This is basically how I do it. I've not had to use any antibiotics that I can ever remember in the years I've been raising them.

I'm not feeding the world though, so quality over quantity is my model. Problem is those methods aren't cheap, and quite a lot of folks think food should be cheap, and that model really isn't practical for large urban areas.

Wild part is that cheap food is rapidly catching up in price. Transportation costs are making "eat local" an even more logical choice. It would be a wonderful side effect of the fuel crisis if it actually pushed more folks to buy local foods and they discovered flavor again.

Reply to
JustTom

Expand your tribe to include all of humanity, and you are on to something.

Reply to
jellybean stonerfish

Don't stop at humanity. Include all of the animals as well, and then throw in plants and basically all forms of life. *Then* you are on to something.

Reply to
Zootal

?????! That is to say, huh? I'm sorry. Where we talking about something?

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative. Oscar Wilde

-----

- Billy

Bush & Pelosi Behind Bars

Reply to
Rony Rose

I have no clue how Billy thinks and don¹t care. Reminds of the guy who studied the Challenger space shuttle loss. He wrote a book entitled ³What do you care what someone else thinks.³

Richard P. Feynman who played the drums too.

Bill lost in duality especially when a tick bites.

Reply to
Bill

Oh! Sorrrrry. I miscon-screwed the whole post. Well since I'm here. The opposite of Good is BAD. The Opposite of Evil is SACRED. And then there are the spin doctors who will tell you the most horrible things need to be done in the name of GOD, Nation, and family without mentioning the most obvious consequences.

No "Ayn Rander" here. I'm an American and I'm not given to aristocracy. The greatest good for the greatest number works just fine for me.

Now that I'm rolling, I also want to mention that there are two methods to irradiating comestibles. One is with beta-rays (electrons) and the other is with x-rays or gamma rays. Beyond this short foray, I haven't gone very far. I read a short chapter by an environmentalist that didn't explain much leaving me to wonder why. Marion Nestle says there is a problem with irradiation and I've come to trust her point of view. At first blush, it doesn't seem like beta-rays would do much damage (tell it to the bacteria). On the other hand, x-rays would be the result of a lot of Cobalt-60 or, in theory, or Cesium-137 (extremely nasty stuff) being turned loose in the environment (becoming a commodity). It is still unclear to me what the up-shot of it all this is on the food and those who it it. So far what is clear is that it will reduce the need for sanitation, rendering the crap (literally) that you eat, non-pathogenic.

Bon Appétit

Reply to
Billy

Baby steps. We don't want to scare anybody.

Reply to
jellybean stonerfish

As for the human race. If part of the world wants to restrict my speech, which God to worship and tell me how to live my life. Then they are NOT members of my tribe and I will consider them EVIL and I will resist them completely!

If the the world wants to adopt a one world government that provides maximum personal freedoms to everyone. Then I will consider them GOOD, In which I am not against expanding my tribe to the entire world.

====

As for animal rights, I believe it is wrong to torture any animal or to allow it suffer. I am not against hunting or using animals for food or for products as long as its death is done quickly as possible. Keeping egg laying hens locked up in a cage where it cannot move an inch is wrong in my world view. Putting acid in rabbits eyes for chemical testing is wrong in my world view. Dog fighting and bullfighting would end as I see it as torture. Horse and dog racing would be allowed as long the animal is not suffering.

If an animal is used for medical research and it shows any kind of suffering, the research should end. Even if it shows that the research can improve the health of other humans.

I have been buying my chickens, eggs and grass beef from my neighbor long before I have read "Omnivores Dilemma". Before I read that book, I did not know about the farm factories. I though at the time, all food animals was raised the way my neighbor raises them. My eyes were opened once again. As for plants. If it is edible or visually pleasing I consider that plant GOOD and treat the plants with the best of care to my knowledge. If the plants are weeds I consider those plants EVIL - I will destroy them quickly. Same goes to Microbes and Martians (I wonder if Martians are tasty).

Enjoy Life ... Dan

Reply to
Dan L.

:-)

That gelatin is also high in collagen, as well as minerals cooked out of the bone so if you can't handle eating the feet, increase the pressure cooking time to 1 hour and 10 minutes. Strain off the feet, place them into a separate bowl, let them cool and use them as pet food. Increasing the pressure time softens the bones to the point where they disintegrate, making them safe.

Reply to
Omelet

The "fuel crisis" seems to be pushing a lot of positive changes. :-) People are driving less and this reduces pollution, and the newspaper had an article the other day (in San Antonio) that traffic deaths have been reduced.

I'm also planning on hitting the Chevy website and taking a look at the "Volt". If it's not priced out of range of the common man, it'll be a real nice thing to be able to purchase...

Reply to
Omelet

Oh gods that sounds good! I have some squash in the 'frige I need to use...

I was considering setting up the deep fryer this weekend for some shrimp. I ended up poaching the catfish fillet's I had thawed this morning.

Reply to
Omelet

A lot of positive changes indeed. I have been considering a new car, one with an E85 engine. I priced a still for $1,500. I have been considering growing corn and make my own fuel. One farmer in my area is doing this now. The only difference between me and him, he knows what he is doing.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

Reply to
Dan L.

Well, when you put it that way... eewwww.

JustTom

Yep, if it don't jiggle, you didn't do it right.

I make all of my own stocks...beef, chicken, rabbit. Medicinal value be damned, it just tastes better. And when it's from my own animals, bonus time.

Nothing better than rabbit/chicken pot pie or rabbit/chicken n dumplings made with a homemade stock. "Velvety", I think is the proper description.

Unless of course it's french onion soup made with homemade beef stock and a loaf of crusty bread. Holy moley.

To go back on forum target, throw in a few homegrown carrots, onions, garlic, celery, parsley, for an enhanced mirepoix, all's the better.

Reply to
JustTom

Your going to starve to death with that attitude, or you are evil. ;-)

Reply to
CanopyCo

The only way to unite the planet that way would be to have an extraterrestrial invasion...

Reply to
Omelet

You may want to consider bio diesel if you can get enough local fast-food places to let you pick up the used fryer oil. :-)

Reply to
Omelet

Hay! Gelled stock is the GODS!!! It melts back into a liquid. :-) That had just come out of the 'frige.

PROPERLY made stock is _supposed_ to gel like that. If it stays liquid in the refrigerator, you did not do it right!

Nice. :-) Good chicken soup is often called "Jewish Penicillin" for good reason...

Reply to
Omelet

*gasp!* How can you say such a thing! All life is precious, and no animal deserves to be killed and eaten! Plants have feelings too, and it is just plain cruel to eat them or even pull them out of the ground.

Oh, wait...you are right, I'll starve if I don't eat an animal or a plant...and soon...hmm...me or them....do I kill myself so I don't damage mother earth? I'm so confused!

/me cranks up grill and put slabs of dead animal on grill to cook while pondering the morality of eating anything at all.

Reply to
Zootal