Is a Big Hunk of Steak Worth Almost 2,000 Gallons of Water?

Page 11 of 13

Pure, unadulterated self interest. I'm in Australia, we run beef cattle on our 2 farms (grass fed stores) and the US beef industry is in direct competition to the Australian beef industry in export markets.
be given> wrote:

Where the Captains of Free Enterprise, Champions of laissez faire capitalism and fervent believers in The Market Will Solve The Problem (TM) persistently shelter their beef industry by regulation from imports from Oz, while complaining about barriers to free trade.
David

:-))) So you remember that stinking, mongrel Trade Agreement too, talk about bullyboy tactics!
A word of warning, don't get me started on either US Trade or Foreign policy because I could go on till doomsday.
In article

Ok. I guess I have an advantage living in Texas. The last calf I put in my freezer was a range veal, purchased by private sale. ;-)
Best beef I've had in years...
I can't afford to buy imported beef. It's for the rich. <sigh>
--
Peace! Om

Such profligacy! I live in an area where we have had about 7 years of drought. My garden is somewhere between 2-3 acres and I would water on 2or3 days of the week in mid summer.

The ONLY renewable source we have for energy on this ever increasingly tiny planet is the sun and even though that is not going to burn out in our lifetime the technology that has to be used to harness that source has to be manufactured and that uses increasingly expensive and non renewable sources.

Water goes back into the environment once it's "used". It's not destroyed so it does not matter.
I did not fight my way to the top of the food chain to become a vegetarian. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

CO2 goes back into the environment also.........

yeah yeah....obfuscation of the issue.
Try carp instead, hardly any use of water. ;-)
Charlie
"I don't drink water, fish fuck in it." ~~~ WC Fields
So, you think the original posting is bullshit and of no concern?
Charlie

Not bullshit babe, just of no concern.
There is no doubt that it uses that much water, but water is not destroyed by it.
It is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. :-)
We need more desalinization plants. That would solve the entire planets need for both water, and salt.
--
Peace! Om

Ol' alligator mouth here, again, babe. Not every one has access to large rivers or lakes and they have to pump their water out of the ground from aquifers. The problem is that in many places the rate at which the water is being pumped is much greater than the recharge rate.
http://www.earth-policy.org/Books/Seg/PB3ch04_ss2.htm FALLING WATER TABLES, FALLING HARVESTS
Lester R. Brown
Scores of countries are overpumping aquifers as they struggle to satisfy their growing water needs. The drilling of millions of irrigation wells has pushed water withdrawals beyond recharge rates, in effect leading to groundwater mining. The failure of governments to limit pumping to the sustainable yield of aquifers means that water tables are now falling in countries that contain more than half the worlds people, including the big three grain producersChina, India, and the United States.
Most of the worlds aquifers are replenishable, so that when they are depleted, the maximum rate of pumping will be automatically reduced to the rate of recharge. Fossil aquifers, however, are not replenishable. For theseincluding the vast U.S. Ogallala aquifer, the deep aquifer under the North China Plain, or the Saudi aquifer, for exampledepletion brings pumping to an end. Farmers who lose their irrigation water have the option of returning to lower-yield dryland farming if rainfall permits. But in more arid regions, such as in the southwestern United States or the Middle East, the loss of irrigation water means the end of agriculture.
And ya know, that can't be a good thing :o(
Not only that but the distance from the toilet bowl to D. Staples water glass is going to get shorter and, shorter and, shorter and, . . .
So while there is a hydrology cycle where everything goes round and round for the good, and in the long run it is a zero sum game, it doesn't always go to where it is needed.
If we do go for desalinization, I hope we can keep it away from the thieving private sector, where the populous have even less effect than we do on our putative representatives.
--
How's your leg comin' along? My embarrassing fall from stepping on a
hose on the stairs two months ago, has turned into a chronic

They start water rationing here when our aquifer drops below a certain level. Lawns waste more water than cows drink and nobody eats them.
How can we say that agrarian agriculture (irrigation) takes any less water than raising cows?
Of course, you have to add in the water used to raise the grain to feed them. That grain would still be produced regardless and used for either food or ethanol production.
A more useful angst would be to complain about the TONS of food that is discarded daily by US grossery stores...
--
Peace! Om

Here the water is diverted to the south for people to grow lawns in the desert, wash their cars and, hose off their driveways and walks. Or it goes to farmers in the central valley who have been know to resell their rights to the water. (If you don't use it. You lose it.) Meanwhile, the salmon can't make it up stream because the water is low and warm, which takes away food and employment.
Grain to ethanol has already been shown to be a bad idea, so what we are seeing now is the corn lobby and the subsidies lobby at work.
Course if we pastured cows they could eat grass and improve the soil quality at the same time.
Hopefully some of that cast away food is finding its' way to Second Harvest or the local food bank, what with "food insecurity" on the rise.
You can't be far from Friedricksburg to write "grossery" store like that;-)
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Total idiocy! Desert dwellers in Kalifornia should landscape like they do in Arizona! If I was for more totalitarian laws (which I'm not), I'd say ban lawns.
And golf courses. <g>

Some of it does here, mainly from the HEB chain. Wal-Mart is bad about giving fresh food to the food banks! Only canned and dried goods.

;-)
Old habits. Our only true grossery store here in town closed down years ago.
--
Peace! Om

ethanol worst idea ever. if you think it is bad to burn something you dig up from the ground. how much worse is it to clear land, and plant something, convert it to something else and than burn that thing! keep in mind every sub-process is inefficient and pollutes like crazy. also the idea that it drives food prices up for the people who can't afford it in the first place.
arghh... ethonal drives me crazy.
Simon

In article

Ethanol drives most people crazy...
especially Native Americans. <g>
--
Peace! Om

<Charlie> wrote in message

This is a startling figure. As I suppose it was intended to be. How does one arrive at such a figure? Until you know where it comes from and what assumptions it includes it is hard to say what impact not eating beef, or not eating as much, would have on water consumption.
The USA annual beef production is about 11 million tons which at 2000 gallons a pound equates to about 30% of the water consumption that you quoted. This does seem very high given all the things that need water. However let's assume that it is right and that my sums are correct. What would happen to that water if that amount of beef was not produced? In what way would the world be a different (better) place?
Unless we can describe the consequences of the options it is hard to make a rational decision about how best to live.
David
David Hare-Scott wrote:

Shhh! You're not supposed to ask that.
Bob

Doesn't seem to stop the GMO people, or our government from reducing the number of inspectors at meat packing plants, or the introduction of nano additives to our food chain, or medications released with only in house assessments of their safety, or planning the containment of radioactive waste for the next 10,000 years.
I would agree, first do no harm and, then proceed cautiously.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Dang, now if'n we could only get a politician to talk like that. I'll vote fer ya David.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

How strange, I thought I had quit politics ..... I'll have to move faster before I'm caught again.
I found the source of the 2000 gallons which you might catch in my response up the thread a bit.
David