holes in collards / soap

Hi. We've got a nice little garden so far, except for the collard greens. Several types of tomatoes and hot peppers are doing well. Squash is doing well. Cucumber is over 8' long now (with no fruit yet, though). The collards were doing great, but a few weeks ago they started getting holes in them. There are no noticeable pests.

So..., and thanks in advance for any help...

1) anyone know what causes this and how to stop it?

2) I'm assuming antibacterial soap won't hurt, but is there such thing as too much?

3) (bonus question) should I be worried that the cucumbers haven't produced yet?

We're in Savannah, if that helps. Also, regretfully, about 5 days ago we broke down and sprayed with Sevin. I hate having to use it, but the fleas in the backyard were horrible. There are whiteflies in the parsely in the front yard (garden is in back) but I haven't noticed any in the garden. I can't think of any other info that might help you all. The collards are growing very well, except for the holes.

TIA, Jeffrey

Reply to
Jeffrey Barker

On 13 Jun 2004 13:56:30 -0700 in , snipped-for-privacy@home.com (Jeffrey Barker) graced the world with this thought:

snails/slugs? That's what does that to my greens in CA, and they're usually gone the next day when you go look. turn over rocks, logs, planters, and see if there's any lurking.

Reply to
belly