help growing my chives

Ok i just recently put my chives under a 25 watt CFL, in a box with the light hanging over the plant about 4 inches away. right now the chives are very small, only about 4 inches high (with a few strands that are a bit longer, but they kind of sway to the sides. I'm using a timer with it set for on 10 hours, then off 14. I'm watering it with nutrient water and it is in some good soil.

So does anyone know of anything I should do to make it work better or is there anything drastically wrong with my plan like the light times. I'm starting off with one teeny little plant that was the last one from the garden store, got it for like 10 cents cause it was in so bad condition. But after having it sitting in the window a few days i figured it was ready to but put under my light.

Reply to
GrowPro

I'm not sure why you're trying to grow chives at this time of year. Mine are outside in clumps and die back in the winter, before reappearing in Spring. If you are determined to grow them inside, I would have thought a sunny window sill was all you need. You sound to be going to an awful lot of trouble and expense for something that really isn't worth it.

Reply to
Janet Conroy

this is just an experiment before me and my dad create a full-blown herb garden in my room, but we don't have all the lights/setup yet so im just messing around with this one, but it seems to be growing decently.

Reply to
GrowPro

You dad is helping you build an indoor "herb" grow room. That is so cool. My dad would pull my plants.

stonerfish

Reply to
jellybean stonerfish

They have grow lights. They are full spectrum and more like real sunlight.

Reply to
cpw68128

Think maybe you're lost - Maybe you need alt.drugs.pot.cultivation. And a fan on the 'herb'plants!!

Reply to
Nanzi