Question about Chives and Cilantro

Hello I have some chives growing and cilantro. My question, the chives has been flowering, what is the best way to maintain these? Should I cut back the flowers? The same question for my cilantro.

Thanks!! KOS

Reply to
KOS

Cut the chives and eat hearty! You can eat the flowers too, if you want to.

If your cilantro has flowered it is too late for the plant. Flowering means the plant has bolted and the leaves are useless. Before you noticed flowers on the cilantro, did it develop a long central stem and very very ferny leaves? Yep, it's bolted. All is not lost, though. Watch the blooms closely. When the flowers drop green seed pods will form. When the pods begin to turn brown, cut the seed clusters off into a paper bag and allow them to fully mature and drop off the clusters. You will then have coriander.

Reply to
Pennyaline

If you have enough flowers and leaves, you can make a cilantro pesto. just substitute the cilantro for the basil. Unglaublich, formidable, increible, really freakin' good.

Reply to
Billy Rose

Like other flowers, the chive flowers will look old pretty soon, and you may have too many of them to clip off one at a time. So, chop down half the plant, including the flowerless parts that you eat. Or, chop the whole thing if you don't think you'll need any chives for a few days. You'll get fresh growth in a matter of days, but no flowers again until next year.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom