Growing Oyster mushrooms

Page 2 of 2

The Oak and Ash are the most available... ;-)
Oak sheds for me! <lol>
K.

logs for Shiitake. I seem to remember something about the softer your hardwood was, the quicker it would fruit, but also quicker to be old and used up, nutrient-wise.
Mycos
Prohibition Funds Terrorism

Makes sense. :-) Hence sawdust bags having larger and faster yields, but getting used up quickly...
K.
--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 15:11:45 GMT, Gary Woods

Well, I lost my library in a housefire several years ago, and only replaced the basics (Orson K. Miller's _Mushrooms of North America_ and Paul Stamets' _The Psilocybe Mushrooms and Their Allies_), and I don't remember where the newspaper cultivation was described.
There's a nice collection of messages by some highly respectable types (eg, Stamets) at
http://www.ecosyn.us/ecocity/Ecosyn/writings/begin-mushrooms.txt
The page refers to "www.mycoweb.com", but that URL is now been taken over by a Dutch IT company-- there is a "mykoweb", now, but that's North America West Coast oriented.
There's also a fairly dense page at
http://archives.thenook.org/tek/GGuide.html
-- .sigzip*
(mimus) wrote:

You are better off starting with one kit, and then propagate it. Stamets company is www.fungi.com. Oysters are the easiest to grow, but they don't compare to some of the other mushrooms tastewise. You could start with an indoor oyster kit, which after a couple flushes could be broken into pieces and put in your compost pile. You should also buy the plugs, which are cheap and produce if well tended. Inject a few logs and wait. As with growing vegetables, there are a few basic rules that you cannot disregard: no direct sun, and as much moisture as possible. That means burying the logs almost completely (not vertically half way, as some suggest), some watering during dry spells (rain or well water is best). I have also found that a layer of leaves as winter protection allows the mycelium to keep developing. For oyster, total darkness will result in no fruiting, so pull back the leaves in the spring. Different mushrooms like different additives, such as coffee grounds (acid, high N), woodash (basic), and charred wood, but if you start with freshly cut (at least two years from the cut, but no more than 3 months) logs from a live tree, water and shade will get you somewhere.
for further propagation, once you have your mushrooms, a small plastic container, a scalpel, some agar-agar, and a jar full of boiled grains will give you new spawn.
I have a spring fed stream running right past the location where I scored my oysters a few weeks ago.
We haven't had practiacally any rain since the hurricanes, and of course, the oyster population declined. Should I toss a few of those logs in the stream, so the get continous watering?
It couldn't hurt...
--
Gareee (Gareee "at" Charter "dot" net)
Homepage:

Just carry some bucketfuls over and soak the logs.
Remember, basidiomycetes are oxygen- breathers.
-- .sigzip*
On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 21:01:40 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (mimus) wrote:

Ha! Unlike the Oozmycetes? <g>
Mycos
Prohibition Funds Terrorism

If you are still having trouble, email me. It ain't hard to do.

Please post your method. :-) I'm currently trying paper culture, moving into hardwood shavings. using salvaged tissue from the "tough" parts of the mushrooms.
Katra