Greenhouses

I've been thinking about getting a greenhouse to extend my growing season by a month or so on either end. Does any one have any experience with them and have any suggestions about what to get? Costco has a $300 coupon next week for a 8'x12' that will be $1300 after the discount. I assume at that price it's going to be polycaronate not glass. They are also selling an $8000 glass green house that's much nicer looking but I'm not sure that I'm up for spending that much.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Get the largest size you can, they fill up quick. and for the $8k range, I would go commercial at that point.
I decided on the Harbor Freight's (HF) 10x12, it is ~ 750$ http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber“358 or http://tinyurl.com/33mzq5 . I got it for $600 at the time, a grand less than the Costco one was. It's double wall poly also. Instructions are a bit difficult to understand, (call and get pics) and its frame seemed a bit less sturdy than the Costco one . but it has held well for last 2 years. A hoop house might have been cheaper, lots of free plans on the Internet for those but my wife wanted pretty and cheap as she wants to move.
Do plan on benches & also consider electricity and water if you really want to extend your seasons. I ran a 20 amp circuit with GFI and 3/4 poly pipe w/ antisiphon hardware for added protection, Our code allows them in the same trench and we only have to go down 12", so it was one dig w/ a $60 a day trencher.
Mine is on an old kennel slab with plastic decking as a frame to anchor it. Normal construction calls for gravel, so plan accordingly. I figure 3-5 yards of pea gravel to fill it in. lot of wheelborrowing if you can't dump inside it.
Keep air moving inside, controls mold and strengthens plants. I got 2x 20" box fans from our local Hardware store for ventilation, but saw similar ones at Walmart for < $20 ea. Dual outlet timers are ~ $20 at HF also, same item is $24-32 at the Big Boxes and garden stores . In the really hot parts of summer I built screen frames that fit inside the channels, the xtra cross ventilation cools pretty good. I'm telling you this because temps will jump to over 100 degrees as fast as inside a car when that sun hits it in the summer. You might have to consider shade cloth or whitewash if you live in a hotter climate. For xtra winter protection I am going to try 4 foot wide bubble wrap for inside insulation to give xtra protection. I also run 2 small oil heaters on low ~ 36f and have them turn off at 45. But we have mild ( but long cool winters).
My raised beds are just outside so I start seeds inside on a couple of 4' heat mats and then move them outside. I have budgeted for 2x 6 light T5s for next spring in there. http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com/commercial_lighting_fixtures_35_ctg.htm or http://tinyurl.com/32btko also have 2 x1' square tube frames with feet spreaders for hanging plants inside.I wouldn't trust the walls or ends to hang anything from.
Yesterday we loaded it up with my wife's plants she wants to overwinter . I have another hydro system to build this winter and put in there for next year. Similar to this one: http://extremegrowing.com/web/content/view/110/41/ or http://tinyurl.com/ykdzqwq .
Use one of the inexpensive inside and outside remote weather info gadgets to watch your temps. another 20-30$.
If there is anything I can help with, let me know.
More Hydro: Dr. H. Resh: http://betterbuyhydroponics.com/index.php?pr=Hydroponic_Lettuce_3 or http://tinyurl.com/yfemr8h
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 09:09:03 -0700, gunner wrote:

commercial_lighting_fixtures_35_ctg.htm
Thanks for the suggestion, $750 is cheap enough to be used as an experiment to see if a greenhouse would be helpful, if I liked it I could get a nice glass one in the future.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Exactly my thoughts when I started, now I want a sunroom or a Florida room attachment to the house, right next to the kitchen.
Fresh herbs and lettuces are nice in Dec and Feb. The Tomatoes still have to wait for the sun until LEDs make an improvement. Which speaking of Solar panels, HF also has small solar lights to use for night lights.
BTW here is a better link to Dr. Resh. That last one was a front for a Hydro store and not educational:http://www.howardresh.com/home.html
For years I've used his books ; Hydroponic Food Production and Hydroponic Tomatoes as THE reference guide. The first one is a bit technical but lots of good information.
Add pictures here
βœ–
gunner wrote:

<snip>
A hoop

Working on a modified hoop myself at the moment. Straight sides with a hoop top. I just need 8' * 8' (all I have room for) and the curved walls would take up foot print. I'm bending 10' 3/4" irrigation pvc (thinner walls and cheaper) over 8'. That will arch up 2 1/2' and give strength and a nice rounded top (for water to run off).
If it'll stop raining here, I can finish it! I think I just had my second batch of kale wash out.
Jeff
Add pictures here
βœ–

Google for pop-up greenhouses.
--
Peace! Om

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot
βœ–
On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 05:36:42 -0500, Omelet wrote:

Thanks, that's and interesting solution. They're cheap and you can even get them at Home Depot.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Mine lasted about 6 years. :-) The sun will eventually rot them, but they are far more affordable.
Cheers!
--
Peace! Om

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot
βœ–
On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 09:15:58 -0500, Omelet wrote:

How did you organize things in the greenhouses? Did you plant in the ground or did you keep everything on racks?
Add pictures here
βœ–

A little of both. Mostly on racks but some in the ground. They don't have floors.
--
Peace! Om

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot
βœ–

Ps, I'm in the process of tearing down the three I have but am going to try to salvage the frames and just use those rolls of clear plastic over them. I'll post how it works out, if it does.
--

'Omelet[_4_ Wrote: > ;867272']In article snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net,

> even

> over

> foot down."

Greenhouses & Gazebos
It's that time of year when many homeowners are thinking of new ways to add some sparkle to their yards and gardens.
A new gazebo, greenhouse, shed or even a treehouse to your yard will become a centerpiece and a topic of conversation for years to come! Whether you're looking to relax outdoors in the comfort of your new gazebo, or start a new gardening operation in your new greenhouse, the possibilities are endless!
Greenhouses and Gazebos is an independent website designed to help homeowners discover the wide variety of options available in outdoor buildings today. Inside this site you'll find information about products, installation, maintenance and other useful tips related to owning a new greenhouse or gazebo.
--
tamla

Add pictures here
βœ–

By filling up their yard with a structure? yeah, sure, right.

So will the over priced, lousy, cheap piece of crap that you end up buying.

Google "greenhouse" or "gazebo", if that is what you want, but
don't support predatory spammers (like the above), who come to put up advertising on our newsgroup.
--
³When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the
poor have no food, they call you a communist.²

Also you might want to check out Harbor Freight. They have a 10x12' greenhouse (polycarbonate) for 799 delivered. I have been thinking about it. I put up a 12x14' PVC pipe "greenhoouse" about 6 years ago and it is still OK, but won't last much longer before the greenhouse platic breaks down. It cost about 250 in materials.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Seed vault video.
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/19/global-seed-vault-nationa_n_616 316.html>
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

Many thanks for that; the Seed Saver's Exchange has contributed to the Svalbard (Sp?) vault, so possibly some of my seeds are in there now. Nice thought, though I hope it isn't needed. The operators kind of resist the "doomsday" aspect; more important is a good source for genetic research and breeding material. A criticism of SSE's involvement has been that the Evil Empire can request material and perhaps add their own patented frankengenes. Doesn't bother me much in the grand scheme of things.
Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic Zone 5/4 in upstate New York, 1420' elevation. NY WO G
Add pictures here
βœ–

I practice daily with a wooden sword. Looking forward to light saber well balanced. Just got problems identifying the evil empire and worry my dollars spent go to the empire too often.
--

Hmmm... How about a real light saber? http://www.cnngo.com/shanghai/shop/shanghai Ήs-real-lightsabres-239429
and... How about an electric propagation bed instead of a greenhouse? http://www.savvygardener.com/Features/cold_frames-hotbeds.html
--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
βœ–

I've got 18 wall of waters and year around fresh rosemary due too four of them.