Thinking about gardening

Tjampuhan 11:21 David Parsons Ngaio Gamelan World 100 2 11/12/07

6:55 PM

Things are dying about but seed catalogues keep appearing.

Crank this up sort of makes one want to go scratch the earth.

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

Gardening, ranching and farming are about the cycle of life. Nothing lasts forever, and some things only last one year. It's all about rebirth and whatever that means to your inner being. I personally like the winter to reflect on what the new season will bring. Prepare. Plan. Then, as it warms up, watch your plan flower of flop. Either way, it's an enjoyable life experience.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

It too cold here to think about much beyond the mittens and scarves.

Cheryl Isaak

which keeps your hands warmer, gloves or mittens?

Reply to
Jim

OR, you can live here in Texas where it is still in the 80s,which is oh, about 20 degrees warmer than normal.

Reply to
Jangchub

Jim wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net:

mittens, but it can be hard to actually work while wearing mittens. the 'best of both worlds' solutions is to have gloves with a fold back mitten flap. i make my under gloves without fingertips because i need to keep a grip usually , but full fingered gloves under mitten flaps are quite warm, being double layered. lee

Reply to
enigma

Depends more on the pair - the pretty ones of either sort are USELESS, but my thinsulate gloves are great as are the pair of windstop polar fleece mittens.

Cheryl Isaak

I've "inherited" the pairs I got DS. They great for scrapping the car and then driving. But, you can't play in the snow with them.

Cheryl Isaak

Do you know what snow angels are?

Bill who has mittens that are water proof that go over fleece gloves and some times over a silk glove liner. Had not used that combo for a few years I guess I am wiser?

Reply to
William Wagner

Obviously the OP means each of the same material... would be silly to compare the insulating quality of latex surgical gloves with asbestos oven mitts.

Reply to
Sheldon

Of course! try to make a few every year.

Or living someplace warmer

I had a pair of silk liners - those disappeared from my desk on winter.

Cheryl Isaak

Sheldon - blow it out your ass

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

LOL, Cheryl, I don't think I've ever seen you say anything like that before :_) It gets a LOL AND and smiky face.

Victoria...in Texas where it was 87 degrees today, and it is 50 tonight. Finally cooling off, but it won't last as it's expected to be up around 75 in a few days.

Reply to
Jangchub

77F here today for our high. leather work gloves were in order for the work on hand here today.

global warming or maybe its just a freak year or two in the passing?

Reply to
Jim

I think its because the fingers can get next to one another and share their warmth. gloves, because of their separate finger holders won't allow finger contact so there's no warmth sharing.

kind of like trying to type while wearing boxing gloves.

I saw a pair of those at one of the extreme outfitter stores.

sounds like a competitive shooter's glove where the palm is covered with a recoil pad and usually with rubber inserts to enhance grip while leaving the fingers exposed for improved trigger sensitivity. past makes a really good one.

layers, worked for me then I got nice gloves with thinsulate.

Reply to
Jim

that is so very funny to me and just about what I said to my wife about my truck, it's a work truck, its useful, its not supposed to be pretty.

thinsulate is some good stuff. my wife gave me a pair of really warm gloves to wear while driving tractor doing winter land cut overs. they are leather with thinsulate lining. before that I'd put a jersey cloth glove inside of a leather work glove and before that I'd put 3 pairs of socks over my hands.

Reply to
Jim

[....]

is a picture of my dog a few years ago trying to make a snow angel. she tried 3 times.

back before I got real gloves I'd put about 3 pairs of socks on. kind of a poor man's mitten. worked pretty good until they got wet.

Reply to
Jim

He just irritated the piss out of me for nth time and I probably shouldn't have posted that. Wouldn't want to ruin my nice guy reputation.

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

And my truck, much battered looking, scares the dent and run jerks at the rinks. Thing needs to keep running another 100K miles, 'cause college is coming soon, and DD thinks she might want to be a goalie and ......

I don't know if they are still around, but I had a pair of "Hot Fingers" that kept me toasty. DH has several pairs he wears when plowing the drive. C

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Jim wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net:

i guess... i have nerve damage in my left hand so i type using only my thumb & index finger of my right hand. i found out my left ring & pinkie don't type after paying a nonrefundable #

200 for typing lessons :p however i could type faster & more accurately two fingered than my ex-ISP boss who could type 70 WPM, so it's not a big deal :)

i make mine.

the shooter's gloves i've seen have had a seperate index finger (sometimes covered & sometimes open ended) & the rest of the fingers in a mitten. i haven't tried knitting one like that yet. lee

Reply to
enigma