Global warming and your garden

Page 1 of 6
WARMING CLIMATE IS CHANGING LIFE ON GLOBAL SCALE, SAYS NEW STUDY A vast array of physical and biological systems across the earth are being affected by warming temperatures caused by humans, says a new analysis of information not previously assembled all in one spot. The effects on living things include ****earlier leafing of trees and plants ****over many regions; movements of species to higher latitudes and altitudes in the northern hemisphere; changes in bird migrations in Europe, North America and Australia; and shifting of the oceans' plankton and fish from cold- to warm-adapted communities. -- full story > http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/05/080514131125.htm
Any NG members notice "earlier leafing of trees and plants"? I realize it's a very short time scale...but...
Inquiring minds...
Persephone

We seem to be having a cooler spring. Leaves out pretty much as usual.
Look at this for weather history going back to 1945 for your area.
<http://www.wunderground.com/history/
Enjoy!
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Persephone wrote:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/05/080514131125.htm
On the Paul James gardening show this last weekend he was talking about gardening in the cities. He said that some cities have a growing zone as much as one climate zone warmer. This is because of Urban Heat Island effect (UHI).
I would be cautious about thinking of or planning a garden depending on the supposed "global warming" for every area of the United States or the world. For example, there has been significant crop loss for the wine industry this spring in France and parts of California because of cold snaps in the early spring.

Leafing, I don't know but I have tomatoes flowering, and that is very strange on the north side of this hill.
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars
<Persephone> wrote in message > WARMING CLIMATE IS CHANGING LIFE ON GLOBAL SCALE, SAYS NEW STUDY

No, I live in TN and this is one of the coolest darkest springs we've had in years. This morning it was 58F and the heat was coming up. We never needed heat here after May 1st before.

yep, coolest darkest wet spring. No global warming here this year, but then that is why the name was changed to climate change from global warming. Nothing like marketing. ~tom "Persephone" wrote in message

We wont know anything for another 1000 years, then there will be to many people. It will all work itself out.

Sounds like the evacuation and recovery plan for New Orleans:o(
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

1000 years! You gotta be kidding! Manifestations all over the world as we speak. The tipping point is less than a decade away.
Persephone

Remember that you said that when the glacier rolls over your house.
--John

Maybe we should tell the EPA. hey just listed the polar bear as an endangered species because of polar warming. Actually, glaciers should be on the same list. Glaciers are fast disappearing which is bas news because instead of reflecting sunlight back into space, when the glacier is gone the sunlight (heat) gets absorbed by the planet and accelerates the heating.
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

You need to improve your reading material. What does disappearing ice sheets in Greenland and Antarctica (not to mention the attendant 200' rise in ocean levels) suggest to you? Heating or cooling? Hmmm?
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars
Billy wrote:

What did it mean during the time of Eric the Red and the other Viking explorers. It ain't the first time it has happened.
In article

Billy.
He is right.
Global warming leads to ice ages.
--
Peace! Om

As I with a feeble mind looks at this stuff. The increase of heat has caused much of the ice about to melt. The recently melted ice no longer reflects energy back so it warms things up a bit. Then why the cool spring? Well the ice that melted flows into the ocean where the salt content is lowered. No big deal but the ocean as a heat sink is reduced hence wider shifts in temperature fluctuations.
Bill
Next URL is the devil Al Gore
<http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/243
Next Url is the best we got
<http://www.whrc.org/resources/online_publications/warmi <ng_earth/>
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Neat place .. http://www.petersvalley.org /

I'm Sorry but this url seems to take us to a larger agenda.
This may be more to our topic.
<http://whrc.org/carbon/index.htm
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Neat place .. http://www.petersvalley.org /
In article

Mistake here.
<http://www.whrc.org/resources/online_publications/warming_earth/
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Neat place .. http://www.petersvalley.org /

Global warming leads to Ice Ages.
Watch the movie "The Day After Tomorrow".
It's scientifically accurate.
Seriously.
--
Peace! Om

In fact, the respected magazine Science has reviewed this Pentagon report and the alleged scientific support for The Day After Tomorrow and concludes that "it is highly unlikely that global warming will lead to a widespread collapse" of the Gulf Stream, and
"it is safe to say that global warming will not lead to the onset of a new Ice Age".
In Nature, another highly-respected scientific journal, a researcher finds that halting the Gulf Stream would be impossible, arguing that "the only way to produce an ocean circulation without the Gulf Stream would be to turn off the wind system or stop the Earth's rotation, or both."
Now, although it is not going to kill us the day after tomorrow, global warming certainly is a reality. It is caused at least partly by mankind's use of fossil fuels. The effects will be predominantly adverse - although high-latitude nations might prosper in a warmer world, tropical countries will have to deal with more heat-days, altered precipitation and higher sea-levels. So what is wrong with using a piece of popular entertainment to campaign for action to save people from that? As the Nasa research oceanographer William Patzert says: "The science is bad, but perhaps it's an opportunity to crank up the dialogue on our role in climate change."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2004/05/09/do0 903.xml&sSheet=/portal/2004/05/09/ixportal.html
It would be futile for me to try and refute the "nay-sayers" of "Global Warming", as is common in science and nature, there is contradictory evidence, some from erroneous measurements, some from oddities that can happen over a 500 million year of the geological record. Most of the quibbling comes from the use of models as predictors of future events. Models use hundreds of presumptions (premises) and not everyone can agree on the same presumptions.
The other argument is that science isn't science unless you can do it in a lab and get reproducible results. Obviously modeling the spread of a contagious disease, the effectiveness of a nuclear war head design. or the interaction of solar radiation variations and greenhouse gas concentrations can't be done in a lab but they can be approximated by computer models. The vast majority of the physical scientists believe that "Global Warming" is a fact but dither on putting a time table to it. The warm water passage that is developing in the Arctic, the melting of the ice sheets in Greenland and Antartica, coupled with the dramatic decrease in size of the worlds glaciers have many scientists on edge and they are talking of tipping points were the heating will be come irreversible leading to hellish repercussions as imagined by Steven Hawking http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/2006-06-22-hawking-warming_x.htm and others http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa006&colID=1&articleID 037A5D- A938-150E-A93883414B7F0000
Now you may say that this is an alarmist attitude to take, but if we act and "Global Warming" doesn't happen, then we look silly.
If we don't act, and "Global Warming" is real, which again, most scientists believe is true, it could lead to another mass extinction, including humanity.
Which bet would you rather lose?
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars