Gabbages

Page 2 of 2

My heart's all a twitter. Now I KNOW, I'll have to write you in;-)

Or is it like here in the colonies? More of a game of musical chairs?:-(

--

Billy

'Billy[_4_ Wrote:

Billy
Can you buy Sluggo in the UK
-- mw80

The SlugsSnails fact sheet < counties.cce.cornell.edu/suffolk/HortFactSheets/factsheets/Slugs%20and%20 Snails.pdf > mentions Sluggo, Escar-Go, and Worry Free as products containing iron phosphate. I would do a Google search for < Baits containing iron phosphate, UK > and see what you get. The other solution would be to call a nursery near you and see if they carry an iron phosphate product or if they can order it for you.
--

Billy

No idea. I never look at pesticide and herbicide shelves. You know when you're getting to that department by the odour.
Mary

Plates of beer work pretty good for slugs. They seem to prefer dark ale. ;-) We've drowned many a slug that way.
I'm fortunate that I have a plethora of snails that don't eat my plants. I only ever find them eating algae and on dead stuff. Not sure what species they are but I've never seen them eating my live plants.
Good thing too as there are thousands of them... Two different species.
They are not attracted to the beer either. The slugs sure are tho'.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

Waste of good dark ale, if'ns ya ask me, which, btw, you didn't!!
Dumb sluggs can drink Bud....harrrummph, wastin' good brew on a sluggg!!!
Charlie, lookin' kinda sideways at you Texans now! ;-)

Wha chew talkin' bout bro. All us slugs is heading for good drinks now in Texas.
--

Billy

In article

Seems that way. <g>

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

<lol> We tried cheap beer at first! Dad put some dark ale out one night when he'd run out of the cheap stuff.
It attracted 3 times as many slugs, I kid you not!

See above. <g> It appears that Texas slugs have good taste in brewskies.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."
Mary Fisher;787529 Wrote:

Hi Mary
It isn't slugs.....they certainly haven't been eaten by anything. Mor sort of wilted and died! They haven't even gone in the ground yet a all i had done was pot them on and leave them in my cold frame.
Would too much lime cause this as i may have been heavy handed wit it?!!
What is the purpose of copper around the cabbages? Could you explai how you do this in a little more detail?
Thanks everyon
-- mw80

Sorry, I misunderstood.

I doubt it.

The slugs slide along on their slimy bellies (OK so it's a foot). There's an interaction between the reactive copper and the slime which they can't abide. I've watched one trying to slide up a ring and turning round, hurriedly, back to nice safe soil.
Spouse cuts Cu sheet into 4 x 10" pieces, give or take. There are different sizes for different plants. The metal is coiled into a slightly overlapping ring, put round the plant stem (it's slightly springy) and pushed into the soil for at least an inch. I leave the rings in place until I harvest the plant.
If a longer ring is required two or more can be linked together.
Mary
You said they wilted. This may be caused by overheating. Coldframes can get very very hot - hotter than a greenhouse even. It's the size; being small they heat up very quickly and need a lot of ventilation in the sun. Can't see it being the lime; although it is not usual to put in the pots, only on the soil. Don't know what that Westland stuff is. But wonder if you didn't over do it. If I do ever use fertilizer on seedlings, it only used at low rates so perhaps this may be the cause.
PDM.
PS: I'm in the West Mids too.