From our Dr. Joe and the Technicolor Dream Coatings Dept.

Page 1 of 2
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009/05/epa-dow-michigan.php EPA Vows to Clean Up Michigan Dow Site
For the rest of "you people": The Dow Chemical site in Midland, Michigan contains significant dioxin contamination that extends for 50 miles down the Tittabawassee and Saginaw Rivers and into the Saginaw Bay. Dow has said they are responsible for the pollution but have slowed clean up efforts. Jackson announced the decision to community members affected by the site. Using her authority to clean up Superfund sites, the EPA will work with the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality to make the Saginaw Bay watershed what it once was.
Arts & Opinion Vol. 3, No. 4, 2004 TOXINS AND YOUR GOOD HEALTH
by Dr. Joe Schwarcz "Buckle your seatbelts, because we are going on a bumpy ride. We are going to rattle some of the basic tenets of toxicology. Not only may tiny doses of toxins not be dangerous, they may actually be good for us! Admittedly, that sounds outrageous. So lets set the stage for an exploration of a revolutionary concept known as hormesis, the notion that small doses of toxins can be healthful."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hormesis
Steve wrote:

It is interesting that you have chopped off Dr. Schwarcz's explanation of what he meant in the paragraph you quoted. You obviously did some research into his backbground and found this article.
For your benefit and those of Lilah, sho gets all her info from the web, here is the web address of the full article by Dr. Schwarcz:
www.artsandopinion.com/2004_v3_n4/schwarcz.htm
Charlie has a bad habit of pulling things out of context to make his points.
Sherwin

Since apparently I have for some reason upset Sherwin enough to be personally attacked, does that mean I'm now part of the club? Cause I can't afford a club membership just yet, not until farmer's market starts and I get me some decent money coming in.

Don't take it personally, Lilah. Consider the source. sherwin is a bit like a wounded animal that will bite and snap at those trying to help it.
And yes, I would say that you are now a part of the club, The "You People" Little Group....welcome!
Charlie
<Charlie> wrote in message> wrote:

Thanks. I have no problem not taking it personally since I can't understand them. I had posted 3 times in the Dr. Schwarcz Replies thread, 1st asking who Dr. Schwarcz was, 2nd quoting Mark Twain, and 3rd expressing disbelief that someone would think scientists don't have to back up their statements(when they are saying them in an 'official' capacity) with facts/evidence. Somehow that warrants calling me an illiterate hermit. "Does not compute! Does not compute!" And I just finished a sandwich with lettuce I harvested 'bout 10minutes ago from my yard. And one of my Golden Midget Watermelon seeds has sprouted :-) So is the quinoa and amaranth.
>So is the quinoa and amaranth.
I've got both about but do no grow it. Found both to be interesting instead of rice yadayada.
Quinona more common the other harder to find.
<http://www.nuworldfoods.com/
You growing such foodstuffs sounds neat.
Bill the amaranth is sort of like a free standing grain I sort of recall. Aztec or Mayan heritage.
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.
I believe amaranth is Aztec and quinoa is Incan. Not sure 'bout the amaranth though. I hope they keep growing strong cause I would like to be able to grow my own grain as well as fruits/veggies/herbs. Oh and I enjoyed a few fresh strawberries as a side with my sandwich as well :-)

Something we enjoy is steamed or boiled amaranth leaves. Raw ones are a little tough and not nealry as tasty as cooked.
Charlie
Charlie wrote:

Well, let's face it. You are a little 'club' of organic fanatics.
I think you should take total control of this forum and rename it to rec.gardens.organicfanatics.edible. Seems more fitting in light of your one sided view of things.
Sherwin
On Sun, 31 May 2009 02:31:39 -0500, sherwin dubren

I find organicfanatics completely inedible. Quite unpalatable.
Boron

Slow cooking and a really good sauce is the secret ;O)
--

- Billy
On Sun, 31 May 2009 02:31:39 -0500, sherwin dubren

I don't believe it's either fanatical or one-sided to examine the facts and reach a conclusion. That you reach a different conclusion doesn't make you right, and others who don't arrive at your conclusion wrong. If you can look at the satellite view of the Gulf of Mexico, the rapid loss of our topsoil, the rampant heart disease and obesity, the patenting of our crops and conclude that we should trust those that have given these gifts then so be it.
In article

Key ideas in below abstract
"intervention strategies designed to promote more equitable access to healthy foods."
Bill
................... Am J Prev Med. 2009 Jan;36(1):74-81. Epub 2008 Nov 1. Links
Neighborhood environments: disparities in access to healthy foods in the U.S. Larson NI, Story MT, Nelson MC. Division of Epidemiology and Community Health, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55454, USA. snipped-for-privacy@umn.edu BACKGROUND: Poor dietary patterns and obesity, established risk factors for chronic disease, have been linked to neighborhood deprivation, neighborhood minority composition, and low area population density. Neighborhood differences in access to food may have an important influence on these relationships and health disparities in the U.S. This article reviews research relating to the presence, nature, and implications of neighborhood differences in access to food. METHODS: A snowball strategy was used to identify relevant research studies (nT) completed in the U.S. and published between 1985 and April 2008. RESULTS: Research suggests that neighborhood residents who have better access to supermarkets and limited access to convenience stores tend to have healthier diets and lower levels of obesity. Results from studies examining the accessibility of restaurants are less consistent, but there is some evidence to suggest that residents with limited access to fast-food restaurants have healthier diets and lower levels of obesity. National and local studies across the U.S. suggest that residents of low-income, minority, and rural neighborhoods are most often affected by poor access to supermarkets and healthful food. In contrast, the availability of fast-food restaurants and energy-dense foods has been found to be greater in lower-income and minority neighborhoods. CONCLUSIONS: Neighborhood disparities in access to food are of great concern because of their potential to influence dietary intake and obesity. Additional research is needed to address various limitations of current studies, identify effective policy actions, and evaluate intervention strategies designed to promote more equitable access to healthy foods. PMID: 18977112 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Not all who wander are lost.
On Sun, 31 May 2009 11:54:08 -0400, Bill who putters

Like driving a tractor through a McDonald's?
I'm glad to see cities are beginning to allow small plots of land to be used for community gardens, though I doubt that will be sufficient to sway people to any degree. I think it will take a more systemic disruption, like $6.00+ a gallon gas.
In article

................ While looking about for the national numbers found
http://www.gulfcoastchp.org/Markets/Commercial/Supermarkets
Which led to
http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0749379707004333
I had heard about this but it I think makes Pollen's farm market desirability paramount for national health.
Bill a chicken in every pot to a garden nearby. Wistfully.
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Not all who wander are lost.

If gas ever got that expensive, I'd hook my dog up to the garden cart for transport :-)
In article

Jose Bove, a true working class hero. http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jose_Bove

--

- Billy

Amen Brother!
Folks like Jose, Lech, so many others, demonstrate the true meaning of hero, a much overused, to the point of becoming trite, word.
Charlie

"The governors of West Virginia always call me an environmental extremist. Youve got to be an extremist in order to achieve things. Youve got to be ready to make enemies in order to accomplish something. And its absolutely necessary that the people here today continue to demonstrate against this highly destructive practice."
- REP. KEN HECHLER (94 years old)
"The only congressman who marched with Martin Luther King in Selma, Alabama, was this hillbilly from West Virginia . ." http://www.democracynow.org/2009/5/29/coal
--

- Billy

Dear Ms. Morgan,
We have reviewed your application and feel it is in the best interest of the "You People" to waive any and all dues for the foreseeable future.
Note however, should you abandon logic and research to embrace either dogma or demagoguery, we will be forced to revoke your membership immediately. We will, at that point, issue you both a reference and referral to "Those People".
Welcome to the Club.