Paver coatings?

We have a walkway made of holland pavers that we have decided are too light in color, sort of a faded tan. We'd like to darken it a bit to go better with the house color. Has anyone had experience with any particular brands of coatings for this purpose. I've heard that acrylics are used.

Reply to
Martin

There are both acrylic and solvent based sealers available. In some area, because of air polution restrictions, only the acrylic are sold. None of the sealers I've seen add color, they only seal the surface and add a slick or glossy type of look. I have stamped concrete and use acrylic on that to preserve the colored finish. I think the solvent based sealers look better and last longer. Pavers maintain their color and finish far better, in fact, that is one of the main advantages.

If you want to change the color, I think you're in for trouble, as the only way to do that is with some type of stain or paint. And that will require recoating every couple years. Unless the color was really bad, I wouldn't do it.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

You want to turn a durable color to one that gets ugly and requires significant maintenance?

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

We've pretty well come to that conclusion also after talking with the manufacturer of the pavers. His recommendation was to use a clear water based acrylic coating. The surface and original color would be protected. Use of a clear solvent based acrylic would do the same, but it would impart a gloss which we didn't want.

Reply to
Martin