From our "Way To Go" Dept.

Here's an example of a face-saving charity move gone horribly, horribly wrong:

Dow Chemical is sponsoring Walleye Fest, in which locals are to catch fish in a river believed to be toxic enough to be on the federal Superfund. And what are they doing with the fish?

Donating them to the poor:

And just as the Michigan Department of Community Health is warning that children and pre-menopausal women should mostly avoid eating river fish including walleye because of contamination from polychlorinated biphenyls and dioxin, organizers of the festival say they plan to donate walleye fillets to a local food bank.

Not great for a company already not in good green standing.

The dioxin cleanup near the fishing competition's location begins this Friday.

And while it's not exactly clear how much dioxins would do what to whom (because dioxins are all around us in varying quantities), the World Health Organization has this warning about effects on human health:

Short-term exposure of humans to high levels of dioxins may result in skin lesions, such as chloracne and patchy darkening of the skin, and altered liver function. Long-term exposure is linked to impairment of the immune system, the developing nervous system, the endocrine system and reproductive functions. Chronic exposure of animals to dioxins has resulted in several types of cancer.

Reply to
Steve

If you go to the Michigan fish advisory

'll see that for the general population, Walleyes over 18", from the Tittabawassee and Saginaw rivers shouldn't be eaten more than once a week, for women and children, never! Tis is because of PCB, Mercury, and Dioxin contamination.

Way to go Dow Chemical. They spill it and we eat it.

Reply to
Billy

As someone who was exposed/poisoned by dioxin in utero and has lifelong health problems as a result(including a dysfunctional immune system), I find it funny when I find people who claim pesticides aren't harmful, anymore than all the pharmaceuticals in our drinking water...this is exactly why when it comes to hygiene products(soap, deodorant/anti-perspirant-yes I spelled that wrong, it's been a long day-, shampoo, and to some extent, laundry/dish soap, etc), I have rules about what I use. Basically if it's not something I'd put in my body, as in eat/drink it, it's not something I want on my body. Storebought soap and such, there are going to be chemicals period, so I came up with a point scoring system comparing the natural ingredients as opposed to synthesized/chemical ingredients. Basically, at least half the ingredients need to be natural/minimally processed(such as distilled water, plant extracts, etc.).

Reply to
Lilah Morgan