We will see if it can be fixed

I've always had the notion that if I took care of my two acres it would some how resonate and effect the local then the larger state. This based on the Chinese Ideal that the individual must be in health before the family can be which grows to the community then state. Hence my own perhaps our interest in gardening local. Guess I have been screwing up royally by this ideal obviously in the last few years. Hope tomorrow inspires me to do more on my end.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Sorry for the bad URL. It worked fine on my end.

Trying again

Gist of which is

Edited on Fri Feb-08-08 02:30 AM by dmesg Obama will limit farm subsidy payouts to $250,000 per farm, and tighten loopholes that allow Monsanto and ADM to subdivide their huge sharecropper empires into hundreds of paper companies to rake in taxpayer money. He wants farm relief to help keep family farms sustainable, not to keep Monsanto profits rising.

He will strengthen pollution standards on large megafarms so that they don't keep dumping their toxic sludge into our waterways.

He will push through a packer ban so that meat packers no longer own the livestock and treat herders like sharecroppers.

He will immediately and strongly implement country of origin labeling on foodstuffs.

He has an investment program to strengthen regional food systems and organic farms, and a crop insurance modification to end discrimination against organic farmers.

He will implement a recruitment and education program to help more young people learn to farm, as well as tax incentives to help new farmers start their first farm.

Obama: he's got it right about agriculture.

(And yes, I am going to keep posting stuff like this until the "all style no substance" BS disappears from GD-P)

Reply to
Bill

Bill, it all sounds like good stuff but where are the citations. It easily could have gotten by me but I've never heard him say any of these things.

Been reading "What to Eat" by Marion Nestle. For those who think about adding fish to their garden, you may want to stop and reflect. The oceans are sewers now. Predator fish like albacore, shark, salmon, swordfish, and mackerel are concentrating methylmercury in themselves and any one who eats them. Most of the methylmercury comes from coal fired plants. The other problem is persistent polychlorinated biphenyls (were in electrical transformers); polybrominated diphenyl ethers, and hexabromocyclododecane (flame retardants); dioxin, and DDT. These concentrate in our fats and are passed to our offspring through the placenta, as is the methylmercury. They mimic endocrine and can cause developmental disorders. Funny (?) thing though, "farmed" fish are higher in these contaminates (except for the methylmercury) than are wild fish.

Now I've got myself thinking about where the fish emulsion comes from for our organic gardens. I'll check with the local "Master Gardeners".

If you must eat fish, pick non-predator fish or smaller, young fish to reduce contamination.

Now get out there and have fun =:Oo

Reply to
Billy

What is that? Serious question.

cheers

oz, back (to the joy of not quite all)

Reply to
MajorOz

Better yet, don't eat any animals. There is no need to anyway. The whole protein bullshit is so untrue. Cows are vegans. They eat grass. Hmmm. I wonder how they got all those muscles we love to eat. The animal muscles of animals make us lose calcium, are are mostly fat anyway. Not to mention hormones, toxins, and everything else. Cows are prey, not predators. They don't have teeth to bite into anything. How do you explain that?

Fish? If people saw how fish are processed they'd puke for days. Fish emulsion is easily replaced with a superior product in liquid or dry seaweed.

An no, I don't eat meat of any kind including fish, am working on removing all dairy and eggs and should be vegan by the end of next month. I just have to get used to cooking without dairy and eggs. Victoria

Updated daily when able.

Reply to
Jangchub

Cows basically eat all day and chew their cud and have multiple stomachs loaded with bacteria that can break down cellulose. Grass eaters are also stupid.

The only protein found in plants are enzymes. Proteins are not used for structure. This means very low levels of proteins. Humans cannot thrive on green vegetables only because our gut is not designed to extract much nutrition from "greens".

The only part of the plant with a higher protein to cellulose ratio are seeds. Plants typically dont have all the essential amino acids, so mixtures of seeds need to be eaten at the same time to provide all amino acids. Here is table of protein in typical seeds file:///c:/DOCUME~1/INGRID~1/LOCALS~1/TEMP/T0567E04.GIF

symptoms of protein deficiency.

Ingrid

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 07:25:53 -0600, Jangchub wrote: The>whole protein bullshit is so untrue. Cows are vegans. They eat grass.

Reply to
dr-solo

This would be news to many agricultural scientists. Try a Google search on "protein content of grass" and you will learn something. For example,

'm not a vegan or some sort of food nut. I've raised and eaten cattle all my life.

Reply to
dave a