textured paint over panelling

Hello,

We have a room with 70's sheet panelling with thin grooves.It i already painted white.There isn't anything behind the panelling s ripping it out isn't an option. I want something different here but no drastically different from the rest of the house which is drywall.

I once saw a room that the owner had just painted over the panellin with a texture paint. He said he didn't use anything to fill in th grooves. It looked like plaster. My spouse thinks we should fill in the grooves , sand it down the use the textured paint.This seems like a lot of trouble if it isn' necessary.

Have any of you done this and what kind of paint would you recommen ?Its a large room so cost is a consideration. The look I am going fo is a subtle troweled look . I don't know what to call it. The colo would be a cream or light tan.

Thank you, Maveric

-- Maverick

Reply to
Maverick

dont bother filling the grooves.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Hi Maverick,

I am no expert, but I did just paint over the panelling in my kitchen. I bought a house with panelling all over the place. It was in decent condition but I just don't like panelling. Anyway, I cleaned it using Chlorox wipes and then used one coat of primer and 2 coats of Antique White, and it looks gorgeous!! I did not fill in the grooves. I actually like the look of the grooves. I think it's the same look you're after.

Lesley

Reply to
Lesley

you may want to reconsider removing the paneling from your home

panleing made before the early 1980s had high levels of formaldehyde

"Health problems caused by formaldehyde can either be acute which occur immediately or within a few days of exposure or they can be chronic which are long-term health effects that might not show up for many years. Exposure to formaldehyde can result in:

Eye, nose, and throat irritation; possible eye damage

Coughing; Chest tightness; wheezing, and asthma

Fatigue

Skin rash/hives

Nausea/vomiting

Nosebleeds

Headaches

Dizziness

Cancer (has been shown to cause cancer of the nasal passages in animals) Exposure to large amounts of formaldehyde may cause pulmonary edema (fluid build-up in the lungs) as well as damage the liver, kidneys, and the central nervous system.

Sensitivity among different people varies widely. Some people may become more sensitive to formaldehyde after an initial exposure. It is estimated that 10 to 20 percent of the U.S. population have hyperreactive airways, which may make them more susceptible to irritant effects of formaldehyde. Children and adults have developed allergic reactions, including hives, from exposure to formaldehyde. Other persons have developed allergic reactions (such as allergic skin disease and hives) because of either direct skin contact with solutions of formaldehyde or by wearing permanent-press clothing containing formaldehyde."

formaldehyde is also in paper towels and paper plates, but that's another discussion outside the home repair realm

Reply to
effi