Homemade textured paint

I've stripped the wallpaper out from my study and (as expected) the walls are somewhat pants.

I had a similar problem in my hallway a few years ago and the way I got round it was to use ready made textured paint which had fine sand in it. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any such paint so I'm going to have to prepare my own. (I know I should just get it skimmed properly..etc!).

The wall isn't that bad. It looks like it's only had one layer of paint on it previously but there are large sections of the wall where the plaster is very visible.

Can anyone recommend what type of sand I need and roughly how much to use. I know, with a bit of practice, I could probably work out how much to use, but it makes economic sense if someone can advise me! Also, is there any type of paint I should stay clear of?

Thanks.

Reply to
rk

What about using Sandtex exterior paint?

Reply to
David P

Never even thought about using exterior paint indoors. I take it sandtex paint is textured?

Reply to
rk

My good lady wanted "home made" textured paint so, I thought it worthwhile to paper the room with lining paper before applying the DIY paint stuff. Unfortunately she used regular building sand which looks fine, but cuts you to shreds should you happen to carelessly brush naked flesh against it! Fortunately thanks to forethought, removal of the lining paper wouldn't be too tricky should anyone wish to remove the "glasspaper" finish in the future.

Reply to
PeTe33

Some of them have anti-algae additives, so you may want to think again before using using them where ventilation is limited. I've no idea whether this IS going to be a problem, but it MAY be a concern.

Reply to
OG

I guess I should pop down to B&Q and see whether I can get some fine sand. I guess kids play sand might actually work too?

Reply to
rk

Use find "woodchip" paper instead! If you really insist on mixing sand into paint, which gives an awful finish prone to skinning knuckles etc. and being a horrid dust collector, as well as needing drastic measures to undo, then get a bag of the stuff used for finishing block paving.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Cheers for that. I'll check out the block paving sand you mentioned.

Reply to
rk

If you must use sand, the fine stuff is called silver sand. Short rag fibre would be much better I think. Not that keen on being sandpapered if I should stumble.

You might well be ok with drier lint, haven't tried that. Put a coat of paint on, throw loose lint at it, then when dry add the 2nd coat to cover the fibres.

If you wanted a paint with body for a lightly textured finish, then lime would do it. Use a roller. Lime is =A36 or so a big bag. If you use separate coats of lime and paint, note it isnt compatible with all paints.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Basically I'm just after a textured effect to hide the bad bits of the walls. The read made paint in my hall consisted of sand so thats why I've gone with the sand approach. I'm not really after making a huge statement on the walls with a radical design!

I'll check out the silver sand you mentioned. The study room is full of techno gear and there isn't really much wall visible apart from behind me so I'm not too worried about injuries caused by abrasive walls.

Reply to
rk

So why not use Artex? You don't have to apply it really thick complete with nasty patterns.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I've already got a wall in the house which has artex on it - it was a big mistake putting artex on it and I still regret it as it looks somewhat dated now. I am just after a very very thin layer texture effect. Just enough to mask the bad sections of the wall.

Reply to
rk

Which is precisely what he suggested. I imagine you'd need to water it down, I've never used the stuff myself.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

You need to water it down anyway - it's supplied as powder :-) Applying with a fine foam roller should produce a lightly stippled finish.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Ah ok. I just don't trust myself with artex. I think I am suffering from artexophobia.

I'm going to pop down to B&Q tomorrow to locate some of this 'silver sand'.

Reply to
rk