Textured Celilings

I have textured celings in my house and I want rid of them.

I once tried a cheapo black and recker 1/3 sheet sander...rubbish.

What do you think of using a belt sander for removing enough of the texturing so that I could smooth it over with a liquid plaster?

Arthur.

Reply to
Arthur

Steam strip it. Or just scrape it level.

Reply to
Michael McNeil

In message , Arthur writes

Artex etc. can be skimmed over with plaster. And it can do a reasonable job - out plasterer just knocked any particularly large bumps.

However, he did have more of a problem getting a good finish on it compared to a flat surface. and of course one of the reasons it might have been applied was cracking of the ceiling in the fist place - which might then reoccur.

Now I would just go for boarding over it with plasterboard - PB is cheap and it's probably take less time than fafffing around try to strip it/smooth it.

You get a nice flat smooth surface that won't crack again, you could either fill and smooth the joints (I would if I was diy-ing it all) or get it skimmed

Reply to
chris French

We've just come back from H*m*b*s* and while Spouse was serching for a decent holesaw (which of course they didn't have) I noticed an expensive wallpaper which was exactly like the textured "unevenly plastered" bedroom ceiling Spouse did many years ago - deliberately. It has a randomly creased effect.

So, it's obviously back in fashion and you should just paint your ceilings and make a feature of them :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

: > I once tried a cheapo black and recker 1/3 sheet sander...rubbish. : >

: > What do you think of using a belt sander for removing enough of the : > texturing so that I could smooth it over with a liquid plaster? : : We've just come back from H*m*b*s* and while : Spouse was serching for a decent holesaw (which of course they didn't have) : I noticed an expensive wallpaper which was exactly like the textured : "unevenly plastered" bedroom ceiling Spouse did many years ago - : deliberately. It has a randomly creased effect. : : So, it's obviously back in fashion and you should just paint your ceilings : and make a feature of them :-) : : Mary : >

: > Arthur. : >

: >

: :

Mary.......there was me thinking you were a decent 'Catholic' girl.....& then you spoilt it by swearing (H"""B£££ indeed!) ;¬)

BTW either your touch typing is below par today, or your 'spell check' isn't working ;-) (Tongue in cheek)

Reply to
J.Milton.Hayes

I would be careful about the risk of breathing asbestos dust, as this was used in some pre mid 80's artex.

Reply to
Adrian Boliston

I would do that if it wasn't for the superb original plaster moulding/cornice around the edge of the celing. Plaserboard would mess up the effect it provides.

Arthur.

Reply to
Arthur

My ceiling has a god awful swirly pattern and removing the txture by some mans is the only option.

Arthur.

Reply to
Arthur

Some people have had success with wallpaper steamers.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Oh no, strictly Anglican. High Anglican ...

Definitely not.

I can't see owt wrong. Unless you prefer 'hole saw' as two words.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Recently had mine done. Plasterers used a scraper on the end of a long pole, scraped off the peaks and then skimmed over. Did a fine job as well.

CM.

Reply to
Charles Middleton

Unless the relief on the texture is very pronounced I'd go straight to the plastering. Belt sanding overhead would be a nightmare, and steam stripping not much better.

Reply to
stuart noble

But removal might be essential, unless the mouldings will allow a bit of extra depth.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

: > : > Arthur. : > : >

: > : >

: > : : > : : >

: > Mary.......there was me thinking you were a decent 'Catholic' : : Oh no, strictly Anglican. High Anglican ... : : > girl : : Definitely not. : : > .....& then you spoilt it by swearing (H"""B£££ indeed!) ;¬) : >

: > BTW either your touch typing is below par today, or your 'spell check' : > isn't working ;-) (Tongue in cheek) : : I can't see owt wrong. Unless you prefer 'hole saw' as two words. : : Mary

I don't want to sound pedantic but doesn't Catholic actually mean Christian (whether Anglo or Roman)? As for your 'spellcheck'.......how do you normally spell "serching"?

Reply to
J.Milton.Hayes

No. It refers to the worldwide conformist church, if you're being pedantic, but most people would assume that it meant Roman Catholic.

Serching, of course. How do you normally spell serching?

:-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

: > : > Mary.......there was me thinking you were a decent 'Catholic' : > : : > : Oh no, strictly Anglican. High Anglican ... : > : : > : > girl : > : : > : Definitely not. : > : : > : > .....& then you spoilt it by swearing (H"""B£££ indeed!) ;¬) : > : >

: > : > BTW either your touch typing is below par today, or your 'spell : > check' : > : > isn't working ;-) (Tongue in cheek) : > : : > : I can't see owt wrong. Unless you prefer 'hole saw' as two words. : > : : > : Mary : >

: > I don't want to sound pedantic but doesn't Catholic actually mean : > Christian (whether Anglo or Roman)? : : No. It refers to the worldwide conformist church, if you're being pedantic, : but most people would assume that it meant Roman Catholic. : : : : > As for your 'spellcheck'.......how do you normally spell "serching"? : : Serching, of course. How do you normally spell serching? : : :-) : : Mary

Touché ;¬))

Reply to
J.Milton.Hayes