Lightweight belt sander recommendations?

I'm removing the old finish from some fairly large bits of oak around the garage doors but using a random orbital sander and scraper are taking too long, so I decided to try an el-cheapo belt sander from Sfx. The idea works but the sander I bought (Mac MSBS900) is dire and will be going back. Some of the job is above head height so I need a recommendation for a light'ish 3" or 4" belt sander ... ?

Reply to
nothanks

I found the problem with the belt sander I had with a large piece of oak was that the belts got too hot very quickly and the (glue) join in the belt failed after a very short time. I had a lot more success with an random orbital sander.

Reply to
alan_m

Makita 9911 - a smaller lighter 3" belt sander. Enough power, well made and tracks accurately...

e.g.

My weapon of choice when I need to do some serious flattening on Oak.

Reply to
John Rumm

I have always found cintride disks better for this sort of job. Very aggressive and leaves swirl marks though, has to be followed up with something less savage.

harry

when used in an electric drill I have found them too aggressive on wood unless filling and painting afterwards. They have a tendency when you are not paying attention, or getting bored or tired, of suddenly digging in and removing too much in a way that cannot be easily hidden with further sanding.

I do however have similar small triangular version for a multi-tool that I can control easier with respect to not removing too much.

Example (but not the best price)

alan_m

Thanks John, I hadn't heard of that model but it seems to be exactly what I need ... and one will arrive in my hands in a few days. FYI I find FFX often have the best prices on things like this.

Reply to
nothanks

I've been using a Makita random orbital but it's taking too long and the (rather nasty) belt sander was so much faster - I'll pause the job until the (hopefully un-nasty) belt sander arrives. Belt heating must be dependant on speed and pressure so I'll experiment, but it hasn't been an issue thus far.

Reply to
nothanks

My Titan branded belt sander from Screwfix seems pretty robust, no problems with it on lots of different sorts of jobs over the year or so that I've had it.

Reply to
Chris Green

Yup, they have been fine IME, although I have not used them that often - I just went for the first link I had to hand from somewhere that have a decent range of Makita kit...

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup they are aggressive, but you can't use those on a ROS which require hook and look mounting papers.

The Abranet 40 grit would be a better choice for aggressive ROS sanding. If you need to do much of it overhead, then investing in a Mirka CEROS or DEROS would also be worthwhile - much lighter and controllable than most ROS, and significantly better dust collection.

Reply to
John Rumm

I think I need one of those too...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Glad to see them out of stock. It's one of the few tools I don't currently have, and I like Makita stuff.

Reply to
newshound

I just bought the Bauker from Toolstation. Impressed.

Reply to
TMH

In case it helps anyone else: I bought the Makita 9911 (recommended by JR) and find it excellent.

Reply to
nothanks