Air hose

I'm struggling to find any data on pressure drop vs flow & pressure for

10mm^2 hose.

Any pointers? Google seems to have failed me!

Reply to
Fredxx

The Engineering Toolbox is good for that sort of thing

Andy Burns

Thanks.

I found that, but doesn't go below 15mm internal diameter.

Reply to
Fredxx

Flowrate will be down to around 40%. How accurately do you need to know?

Reply to
newshound

Laminar flow is proportional to the fourth power of the radius. I think turbulent flow falls even faster in smaller pipes, but I am not sure. From above, flow in a 10mm tube is 20% of flow in a 15mm one.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Could you extend the middle scale on the nomogram? looks like it halves per unit distance, does that make it ln(2)?

Reply to
Andy Burns

?? I'm looking for pressure drop over a length.

Given the few sizes of air hose, 6, 8 and 10mm^2 (I have come across

14mm^2) I am surprised there aren't simple tables around showing drop with air flow wrt to pressure and hose size.
Reply to
Fredxx

I could but surprised there aren't simple tables around for such a common issue.

Reply to
Fredxx

The page starts of with a formula including diameter.

It then has 2 calculators.

The metric one will give you answers for 1m^3/min, 1m length, 10mm pipe,

7kg/cm^2.

Perhaps you should try shorter pipes or higher pressures.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Once fred mentioned it, I tried a few values and it seems quite determined not to like the inputs

Reply to
Andy Burns

I have about 50m of braided plastic 10mm? hose attached to my workshop compressor. (means I can reach a flat tyre anywhere in the yard) Clearly there are losses on full flow but it still serves to blow dust out of radiator fins....

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I have now used it and the numbers seem low.

For instance, an impact wrench might take 8 CFM, (all measurements from the web seem to be in imperial) 1CFM = 30ltr/min so such a wrench would take 0.24m^3.

Over a 10mm hose over 10m @ 5bar that equates to a minimal pressure drop of 0.2 bar, which seems low to me.

I have rounded numbers for convenience.

Reply to
Fredxx