Tiling to concrete floor

Not mine, sons in Holland. He states there is no membrane between the old adhesive and the concrete floor (with underfloor heating), so what to do.

I am thinking if he cant take the old layer off then to level first to even out the old adhesive grooves and then fresh adhesive for tiling. Questions: Is this the way to go, and Will the fresh adhesive stick to the old adhesive?

Any other thoughts on this.

ss

I would give it a covering of self-levelling compound. It will be a bit expensive using tile adhesive as both adhesive and filler not to mention how the extra thickness might might affect setting times and ultimate strength

The better quality self-levelling compounds do tend to stick like sh*t to a shovel to most substrates as long as they are sound. There is a type that rather than mixing with water it is mixed with liquid latex which I have been told is more flexible which might be a good idea with UFH. I used some a long while back and unfortunately cannot remember the brand but a good tile supplier/builders merchant should be able to help you out.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

It will - although if doing it just with adhesive you would need to do a full bed of it, with ribs on top rather than just ribs.

Latex self levelling compound - pour on, trowel roughly into position and leave it alone - it will consolidate the surface into a flat smooth one, ready for new adhesive. Judging by the size of room, he will only need one 25kg bag.

Reply to
John Rumm

Only use compound to fill in really low spots - frankly its almost as expensive as tile cement

I put levelled strings in my kitchen before tiling as guides and used tile cement all over up to 2" deep in one spot, and less than 1/4" at the high spot

Works fine with UFH

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Richard & John Rumm. I have passed on the info, thanks.

Reply to
ss