Portable belt sander recommendations

Looking for recommendations for a hand-held belt sander. After reviewing the archives, which are quite old, I figured it best to put the question up for an up-to-date response. I don't need the "planes are better lecture" - I know my limitations and at my age I'm not sure there's enough time to master a plane ;-)

Your wisdom and advice is appreciated.

Erik

Reply to
Erik Ahrens

I saved a few bucks by getting a model without dust collection. Bad choice.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde
    • P
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

The best value on the market today & has been for years is the Makita 3"X24"

9924DB, Makita has been making it for years virtually unchanged, not too big for small jobs & big enough for large jobs....great tracking too, parts are cheap....remember to change the carbon graphite plate, wear plate & brushes when needed & they seem to run for ever. The Volvo of sensibly priced belt sanders. PS this model can also run a 4" belt for right to the edge sanding. About $169Can or $130US at most retailers.
Reply to
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN

After much research in this newsgroup and on Amazon, I wound up with the Bosch 3" X 21" 1274DVS. I have it hooked up to my Craftsman shop vac outfitted with a CleanStream filter. There's no dust, and the sander works great (just like everyone indicated).

PJ

P.S. Bosch link:

PJ

I have been using a 4 X 24 Porter Cable belt sander ( variable speed) for about 10 months. It was a Christmas gift. I am very pleased with it. I have used it alot. It takes only a small amount of time to learn to run the machine to give you perfect sanding results on large panels and on smaller pieces. It runs relatively quite and has a form of built in dust collection. I removed the collection bag and hooked it up to my shop vaccum cleaner. The vaccum cleaner is equipted with a clean stream dust filter. When used with the vaccum, there is virtually no dust in the ship from the sander. The sander removes a large amount of material quickly. I have discovered that I can do my finish sanding with this sander by using 220 grit sanding belts for my final sanding. I do not have to do any other "touch up" sanding.

Reply to
Joe Nation