Finding community garden space

Any ideas on how to find some community garden space, or who to proselytize?
I'm in the Newark, Ca. area. I saw something for Hayward Community Gardens, but that's a little far.

Check the phonebook for Master Gardeners or a UC Davis Extention.
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars

I'm a tad xxxxx of you (Seattle) but I found literally dozens by googling "[name of city] pea patch" and "[name of city] community garden".
The latter even identified what communities within the city had gardens for communal use and where they were. Application wait periods seem to range from zero to 2 years.
Don
Don H3 wrote:

I tried googling too, and though many hits came back, none were feasible. Didn't know to use 'Pea patch'.
Don H3 wrote:

So, I'm not finding any of these search results you speak of. Care to share one with me. I've even gone to Ask.com.

You neglect to say where you live, but here is one in LA http://www.cityfarmer.org/commgardennews.html (about to be closed apparently), and this one http://www.laparks.org/dos/horticulture/orcutt/community.htm
These were found in about 10 seconds by googling: 'los angeles ca "community garden"'
or here's pay-plots in Brisbane Ca: http://www.brisbanegarden.com/RulesAndPolicies.html
or if you want to find some in Brisbane Australia: http://www.rosneath.com.au/ipc6/ch06/campbell/index.html
Don H3 wrote:

This is where I live, from my original post:
> [...]
So, I'm taking it that I've already exhausted this avenue with google. Google was the first place I went before hitting the newsgroup. Google and several other searches. Thanks for taking the time though.
So, I called the city today, talked to someone, and he said one reason there were no community gardens in Newark was that there was lack of interest. But, he was going to beat the bushes and see what he could come up with.
Then I called Ardenwood Farms (1/4 mile away) in Fremont, and they couldn't help, but pointed me to Prusch Farms in San Jose (20 miles away). They haven't called back yet. But 20 miles one way is a bit of a drive. That's about $7 per round-trip.
I'll keep trying. This fella I talked to at the city offices told me to start trying to drum up interested people to help make it work.
I hate being a starter, but I'm also used to it.

How about a want add for a garden plot? Some body must have land that would want to make a few bucks on it.
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
Billy wrote:

There's an idea.

Hmmmm ....
Some local schools have garden clubs (For the local community, not just kids) and some have provided space for the gardens in their court yards. My old High School located in the city has a green house and runs a flower shop next to it. It is odd, but some cities actually have 4H clubs and they may help run a community garden. And lets not forget the Boys and Girls clubs, they love those badges.
Just a thought ........ Dan
--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.

Dan L. wrote:

More good ideas. Thanks beau coup.

Did you try Milpitas? Or a general "Alameda County" search? There are many in SJ but that does you no good. It would be a good idea for someone to start a gardening program for the elderly who have yards they cannot maintain and who have no help in that area.
KarenCannoli wrote:

I'm trying to start one in my town, but that will take a while. I've got an opening for one in San Jose. I might take it for the time being. I'm just trying to teach myself right now. 20 miles one way though.
I've called a local church to see if they want to sponsor it, and have called the city, and am looking at other options.
There are a LOT of them in San Jose.

I would be interested in seeing how it works for you. Which SJ location did you choose? K
KarenCannoli wrote:

Mayfair???? Kammerer and Sunset. There is a huge oak on the lot, and I want to make sure the available plot isn't in shade most of the day.