Coal Ash?

Is there any good use for coal ash in the garden?
Wrench

Coal ash can be acidic or alkaline, based on the properties of its source coal. I'd be leery of using it in a garden because it can contain a number of heavy metal byproducts. It is considered quite a source of environmental pollution.
Here's a PDF file you might find interesting:
http://www.mcrcc.osmre.gov/PDF/Forums/CCB/5-1.pdf
Mark

it is much richer in heavy metals than wood ash. I think I could use it in the lawn, under trees or in the flower beds, but not near a fruit tree or vegetable garden.

No
What about leonardite? Is that a good substrate for plants?