Blackberry question ...

Hi !
I planted a blackberry bush last year . I thought it didn't make it because of frost . This year it grew nicely , but it didn't bloom or have fruit . Do I have to prune it and if yes , how and when in fall ?? Please help !
Thanks ! Rosie z5
On 9/1/05 9:41 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3271.bay.webtv.net, "rosemarie face"

Google blackberry pruning.
The party line is that berries will grow on the canes that started this year. Remove anything older. Next year, remove the canes that bear fruit then. Select the best new canes next year for fruiting the following year.
Bill
I wouldn't prune it until it over grew the area I wanted it in. The berries next year will grow on this years branches. I cut mine way way back in the early spring just cause it was wild and I was cutting the brush around it. I have no berries this year but I suspect I will have tons next.
--
:) Lynn
!