Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Gardening, yes. Edible, maybe.
I'm in the Brood X cicada territory, but in a town that was mostly cleared farmland until the '60s or '70s. No woods, no cicadas. But the woods have since recovered, largely on city owned property --...

A new, better, year planted
The garden is approximately a disaster, but there is food planted and some growing. After the past year, this is wonderous. Nothing got planted in 2020 (more below). According to my limited log...
2
2

Just talked to a farmer
Hi All, A customer just called me that use to do farming. He confirmed my suspicion that seeds from Burpee, etc. are not what farmers use. They have their own supply chain. And they DO NOT put up with...
2
2

ping songbird: garlic seeds
Hi Songbird, If I like the Trader Joe's garlic I just planted, I was thinking of letting a few go to seed. They are right next to my green onions. Will the cross pollinate? They are similar families....
10
10

Plant a store bought onion?
What happens if you plant a store bought onion? Can you cut it into pieces like a potato?
13
13

Blackberry prune questin
Hi All, My Blackberry plants are three years old now (and still no flowers or fruit). Each spring, the branches go green with leaves, but some don't. On the dead ones, do I let mother nature take its...
19
19

Garlic
Last October mentioned garlic wife had planted wondering if it would survive the winter cold and snow. Here it is the end of May and I noticed wilting of a plant in a pot on the deck and I just pulled...
9
9

it's a dry heat
too dry here the past few months. first peas planted are up and growing ok. in spite of several pretty good frosts so these are hardy enough to plant even earlier than i did but i'm not sure how much...

wheel weeders?
opinion? Use the wheel weeder at a fast walking pace to cultivate pathways and spaces between crop rows. Made in France. 100% Guaranteed.
4
4

Sheep Manure
We're having the sheep shorn in a couple of weeks so we started cleaning out the manure that accumulated in the sheep barn over the winter. I put eight five-gallon buckets in the lawn tractor trailer...
9
9

Tomato plant diagnosis
Hi My tomato plant seedlings (photos attached) have gone from good and healthy to developing muddy brown coloured leaves. I am pretty sure it's not over watering. I have other plants that were started...
6
6

Just 1 Galahad Tomato
Is it ok to grow just one plant? Some plants don't seem to grow well unless there are two of them. Also, will this grow well in a 15-gallon bucket (~2.25 sq. ft, 18" deep)? Not a lot of room left in...
2
2

Space Lettice
What about basil?
1
1

Re: Worms in my carrots!
> another part of the garden too.

Plantin' Day !
Well , I got a really good start . The weatherliars are calling for temps well above freezing , and the plants are well hardened of . So today I planted all the tomatoes - 6 each Marglobe and Rutgers...
1
1