it's a dry heat

too dry here the past few months.

first peas planted are up and growing ok. in spite of several pretty good frosts so these are hardy enough to plant even earlier than i did but i'm not sure how much of a difference that will make since as the soil gets cooler they take longer to sprout. still good to know i don't have to worry as much as i was about them freezing.

the second planting of peas are just now sprouting and at the same time i also planted some early beans to see how they would do.

i wasn't sure if the forecast would swing back to cold or not so it was always a chance the beans would not make it but this was a test planting and the seed quality wasn't all that great either (which is why i was willing to risk them). yesterday i went out to finish planting that garden and there were at least three sprouts of the beans coming up so they weren't in nearly as bad of shape as they looked.

it only took me about a half hour to finish planting the rest of that one area in the garden with a bunch of Purple Dove beans. i'm trying to do more block plantings this season instead of intermixing/interplanting beans as i have in the past (to encourage cross breeding). it was causing too many beans to be lost under other plants as not all beans finish up at the same time. in that short time i was out there planting and then watering i did work up a good sweat. it's not even the end of May and the AC has been running and i'm a wimp. :)

also this season i'm not planting beans on the fence. i'll put them in other places and prop them up somehow or let them sprawl. a few times in the past i've let them climb up the lily plants.

we have our warm weather plants ready to go and should get them planted out the next few weeks.

a lot of chances of rain in the forecast for today and the rest of this week. at last. we really need some good soaking rains. the large drainage ditch out back normally runs all season but it is flowing now at less than a cubic foot per second, that's very unusual for this time of the year. it is too bad that i have so many other things going on right now as with that low of a flow rate it would be a good time for me to get in there and do some rebuilding of some eroded banks using all the dirt and grass that is in the middle of the ditch where it doesn't belong. not enough time or not enough of me's to do that... :)

the project i'm working on to clear along the pathway and house drain cover i put down is just about done and should be ready to be planted as soon as i need it.

a lot of weeding to get caught up on in the north garden but that is ok. it is easy to weed in there now that i have a lot of plants moved to the edges and more of the edges are covered with creeping thyme that helps keep some of the weeds down.

my test planting of some sandwort worked out ok and i'm finally seeing how the sandwort fares as a companion planting with the thyme. it looks nicer to me and the thyme keeps the weeds down.

songbird

Reply to
songbird