Sheep Manure

We're having the sheep shorn in a couple of weeks so we started cleaning out the manure that accumulated in the sheep barn over the winter. I put eight five-gallon buckets in the lawn tractor trailer then shovel the manure into the trailer. Most ends up in the buckets but we get about a ninth full bucket from the loose stuff that falls between the buckets. We've gotten two loads out and up to the garden so far, roughly 18 buckets worth or 90 gallons of dry, loose manure.

Reply to
Pavel314

Get that shit spread out and tilled in ! <pun intended>

Reply to
Snag

sounds good to me. :)

herbivore poo is prime plant food, but prime because either dung beetles or worms or other creatures work on breaking it down further.

have you ever considered a worm farm? :)

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I think that we have an unintentional worm farm out in the garden after many years of sheep manure and compost additions. Whenever I go out to work in the garden, the robins hang around, knowing that I'm going to turn up a bunch of worms for them.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

Pavel314 wrote: ...

:) we don't have birds that will hang out that closely other than the killdeer who sits on her eggs. she's on her 2nd batch i think the first batch froze. :(

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Years ago there was an organic farmer that posted here and his big concern about using horse manure is that it might be contaminated with strong pesticides used to keep flies down in stables.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Frank wrote: ...

well certainly make sure your poo isn't coming from a contaminated source.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

We don't use pesticides in the sheep barn.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

Then you are good to go. I found this reference which may be good for you:

invalid unparseable

Thanks for posting that.

Paul

Reply to