Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Winter Squash
Although the pumpkin patch ended up buried in weeds, we've begun getting a good harvest of winter squash. There are a lot more out there that I'll gather after the first frost. Most will end up as...
7
7

Sunflower question
Hi All, I had a sunflower grow wild in my garden this year. I have watched several videos on how to grow them on You Tube, but I am confused as to when to cut the flowers off the stems and what to do...
5
5

squash bugs tip i ran across
we're not seeing too many here but while i was looking at the website for harvesting and curing tips they mentioned putting out yellow dishes with water in them to capture them. no idea how well it...
11
11

State agricultural universities
T. You might want to take a look at your state's ag college, they generally have all the stuff you need for plantings in your state. I find the Texas A&M system is a truly helpful outfit and have been...
3
3

How deep for onions?
Hi All, I have started "carving" beds for this years onion and shallot planting. Not to ask too stupid a question, but how deep should I make the beds? Would 10" be enough? (It has to accommodate all...
16
16

September Flowers
I have an Antique Gold apple tree which has borne well for years. This year , I didn't get around to spraying the orchard and this tree, and the one ne xt to it, only have about half of their leaves....

Mo' Rain
Late last night we received a blessing of rain, about 1.7 inches in two hours. Just the right amount to perk the gardens and trees up again. Now we have to mow again, probably tomorrow if we don't get...
1
1

Garden pickings
Wife picked a fairly large bucket of sweet peppers this morning and we found some hot ones in the crowd. She found the culprit and pulled it as we can't anything that hot. Also got a smaller bucket of...
1
1

Any of you guys grow Goji Berries?
Hi All, Any of you guys grow "Goji Berries"? What caught my eye was 1) they grows in cold and freezing climates (perennial) 2) they is drought tolerant 3) they grows in high elevations (higher than...

Re: Citrus leaf discoloration
Great reply! What it shame it wasn't available in 1998 when the question was asked.
1
1

One smart tomato.
We are having a bumper tomato crop this year and are keeping busy BWB canning them. We do get some misshapen tomatoes in the bunch but we got one really brainy one this morning. Ross. Southern...
5
5

Ping George: How do I harvest pepper seeds?
Hi George and Everyone, I do love my Chimayo (New Mexico Red) peppers. I buy them dried from the local Mexican store. They are FULL of seeds. I tried sprouting these seeds and got zip, nothing. So...
3
3

over winter crops?
Hi All, Other than Garlic, which I already do, are their any other crops to plant over winter in a snow and freezing environment? Many thanks, -T
38
38

ping songbird: a theory to run by you
Hi Songbird and All, I was told that alkalinity blocks the "cracking" of nutrients from the soil. Now I have used the self same compost from the local guy that everyone else uses for years. They grow...
23
23

Pumpkin Patch Weeds
This being the first summer in my retirement, I vowed to keep up with weedi ng the pumpkin patch. When they were little sprouts on their widely separat ed hills, I'd run the tiller between them every...
7
7