Where can I buy a spring loaded latch?

Our hatch/door into the loft is simply a board that sits its on a ridge, consequently a strong gust of wind with the front door open sends it flying into the loft space!

I want to make a proper job of it and make the hatch/door hinge down using a spring-loaded latch I once saw on someone's loft door it was simply a sliding bar spring-loaded with a large(ish) ring, as opposed to a knob, so you could put a hook into it and pull (rather like the old school windows (well, in my day anyway!)

Does anyone know where I can buy such an item?

Reply to
Ron O'Brien

I have one like this fitted. The hatch hinges downward and you push it up slightly to release the latch. Pushing it shut relocks it. had it for years with no problems.

Keith W

The item you need if I understand your description is a touch latch,

You can probably pick one up at Been & Queued etc. These do not normally come with a ring etc, that is usually supplied with the loft ladder but I am sure something could be nade to suit your needs.

HTH

John

Reply to
John

Think this may be what you describe, a Fanlight Catch.

Old Git

In article , Old Git writes

I was thinking of one of those [*] but they're intended for inward opening and the o/p's hatch is effectively outward opening. I wonder if the door or the catch could be adapted?

[*] Couldn't find one though, well spotted and bookmarked.
Reply to
fred

Aha! That's exactly what I was looking for, none of our DIY super stores had anything like it. However, KeithW's idea of the push shut/push open type latch seems an even better solution, I'd not thought of anything like that.

Thanks guys, a mine of information as usual!

Ron

Reply to
Ron O'Brien

I recently added a fanlight catch to the loft door because wind occasionally pushed the door sufficiently for the normal latch to operate.

Peter

Reply to
Peter