TV wall bracket

Hey folks,

Looking into getting an HDTV soon, probably about 37". Am useless about DIY so would probably get someone in to do it, but I wondered if my wall would actually support it. It's a bedroom wall in a terraced house, and the wall is a party wall between the neighbours. The house was built about a decade ago.

Any tips/pitfalls/tests or anything that may be useful?

Cheers!

Reply to
The Litmus Test

I notice apart from in the subject line I didn't actually say - looking to hang it on the wall! Cheers.

Reply to
The Litmus Test

Since the TV will have a couple of speakers in it I would suggest not fixing it to a party wall unless you want to start a fight with your neighbours.

Reply to
Alang

I'll second that comment.

And you have realised that there's almost no HD material out there?

I've seen Sky HD, and frankly I'll do without. There are too many artifacts. As an example - watching sport in a shop the other day, you could see every blade of grass. Until the camera moved, when they all vanished, only to reappear when the camers stopped moving. I'd rather not see them at all!

BlueRay is pretty good though, the little I've seen of it.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Got a PS3, so I realise there's a fair amount of HD material which SD just isn't cutting it for anymore.

Fair point about the speakers though, Alang. Now I just need to find a stand that's about 5 foot off the ground!

Reply to
The Litmus Test

On this note, why do people pay £150 for a TV stand, wouldn't something like

suffice? What do you suppose the maximum weight that could hold is?

Reply to
The Litmus Test

We have a 32 inch flat screen mounted on our dining room wall via a double articulated arm mount. I doubt whether it conducts too much vibration to the wall but the lack of rigid fixing would probably upset hi-fi experts. You could use a separate amp and floor standing speakers. Our mount came from Maplins and there is so much give in it that that I have had to pack out the lower mounting about three eighths of an inch!

The flatscreen in our bedroom is on top of a tall chest of drawers.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Yeah, I've been wondering about getting a cheap chest of drawers or something, and replacing a few of the drawers with shelves for other bits of equipment, maybe drilling some holes in the back for cables, and sitting the TV on top. Remaining drawers could be good for holding games and a few DVDs. Problem is it's a fairly tight space, so I'm not sure anything would be cheap, tall and sturdy enough.

Reply to
The Litmus Test

Yes ... I'm glad I don't live next door to you!

I live in an end terrace, have a small telly in my bedroom and the bedroom is away from the neighbours on the end wall. If I had even my small TV next to the neighbouring wall, I would be using some serious earphones. Nothing worse than neighbour-noise at night!!!

Just a thought ....

(I often cringe when I see all these adverts for portable iPod speakers and huge powerful hifi systems - why inflict your music on everyone else?)

Reply to
Barb

Cheers - after having realised the fault and posting two days earlier that I wasn't going to fix it to the wall, if you can't help your sanctimonious attitude, I think I'm a lot happier not living next door to you. Can imagine your days are spent harrassing your neighbours about their bins not being lined up.

Some people have friends, with whom they share film and music.

I really appreciate the help from everyone else, but since your post contributed absolutely nothing to the discussion, I don't see this unnecessarily rude post any worse than yours.

Reply to
The Litmus Test

Though perhaps it would have been better with a smiley on the end, it was a perfectly valid point, and could serve as a reminder for others of the nuisance that could be caused to neighbours if speakers are fitted in the wrong place.

Reply to
Harry Stottle

A reminder that Alang posted two days prior, in a sane, polite way.

Reply to
The Litmus Test

Exactly - I really don't care what other people do as long as they don't infringe on my personal space, i.e., unwanted noise and someone else's choice of music or TV at the wrong time. I'm not being judgemental or "sanctimonious", just trying to keep the world peaceful!

Reply to
Barb