Superglue

Is the setting time of superglue (cyanoacrylate, just in case there are other types) affected by low temperature?
I want to stick the fridge door tray back in place as one of the lugs is broken off. Will near-zero temp affect it?
Steve
shazzbat wrote:

Yes. [1]

Yes - and superglue will not fix all types of plastic
[1] You can obtain an 'activator' for superglue that will allow it to set at low temperatures.
Tanner-'op

I had a similar problem when one of the drawers in my fridge door broke.
I could remove it, but I used Araldite (the two tube stuff), which seems to be harder than the original plastic!
I don't know whether Araldite is affected by temperature ...
Barb
Barb wrote:

Araldite sets faster if it's warmer (speeds up the chemical reaction) so I'd guess it'll take ages to set if chilled.
--
email =~ s/nospam/fudokai/

ajp wrote:

The way I read the OP was will cold affect the glue once cured not will it set in the cold I could be wrong though
--
Kevin R
Reply address works

If the OP means that the mend stays put in the fridge, then, yes, Araldite seriously works - once it has set of course.
Barb

There's a chance it won't bond the plastic. If it does, it's more likely to be a solvent weld caused by the solvent in the glue than the glue itself.
I mended mine with a thermal weld -- hold both surfaces in a gas flame for a second or two, and then push them together. I could do this out of the fridge, and then bend the door to ping it back into its hinges.
--
Andrew Gabriel