Solvent weld

I have the chance to buy some waste fittings that I need at quite a reasonable price, the problem is they are 'solvent weld'. Having only used screw or push fit plastic waste over the last few years I know nothing about this stuff, but I gather that you have to use some special solvent with the pipes, etc. Can anyone tell me more about this type of fitting, and where you buy the solvent - I can't see it in the Screwfix catalogue?

Reply to
Farmer Giles

B&Q homebase ect ect, just run some round inside the female end and just push in the male end & bobs yer uncle, sets in seconds.

Reply to
reg

That's the disadvantage. One of them anyway. The other is that if you don't get the angles right, you're toast. If you're not sure or you want to be able to disconnect, I would use silicon sealer instead.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Thanks for that. One more question, what's the advantage of using this type of fitting - presumably once it's connected you can't 'unconnect' it?

Reply to
Farmer Giles

Solvent weld from a plumbers merchant. Its only sold to adults as is uses can be abused for solvent sniffing.

The use of silicon on plastic, hmmm , Don't think it sticks to plastic ?.

Reply to
keith_765

My votes for solvent weld its far neater. And so quick to get the job done as it sets in seconds !!

Reply to
Vass

The other is that if you don't

Yes, but you don't glue it until you know it's right. Push all the bits together and check first.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

SNIP

I think it sticks to just about anything it touches. I've used it on an overflow joint that wasn't *quite* the right size and it didn't leak when I tested it, although we haven't had an overflow in anger. I'll get in the loft and test it again I think.....

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat