Worktop cutting

Once I've got my units fitted what should I do about cutting my worktops. Anyone suggest a method I could use to get a good finish?

Cheers, Bob

Reply to
Bob Watkinson

get a professional in to do it.

Reply to
reg

New circular saw blade turn worktop upside down (Ths way the blade cuts into the nice surface not away from it put masking tape both sides along the cut line As for joints if your not using the cheap metal strips that hide the joints you can buy a jig for less than £ 100

use a router if you dont fancy this, loke the other post, get a professional in

Reply to
Vass

As a previous commentator has stated use masking tape both sides of the line to be cut but the one difference I would say it to use a "worktop cutting blade" for your jigsaw. This blade has teeth which cut on the downstroke and cut from the top surface. The problem about turning the worktop the other way up and using a traditional upward cutting blade is that unless you can guarantee that your blade is precisely at right angles to the surface some errors are bound to occur in the top surface cut position.

Reply to
biggirlsblouse

cheaper long term

Reply to
kitchenman

Hire the jig and router for a weekend. The worktop is usually big enough to allow you a practice cut and go for it. I did, never done it before and the result is excellent. Don't go mad with the router take it in stages making sure the jig is FIRMLY clamped in position. Just remember the old adage, measure twice, cut once.

Jb

PS Tried a circular saw, nowhere near good enough.

Reply to
Jb

Unless your circular saw cost a fortune it will NOT cut straight.

There is nothing to stop the blade moving sideways, try it If you can move the blade in & out a bit by hand it will do the same under load Use a decent router & always cut from the front

Reply to
kitchenman

I've done it with masking-tape and a downward-cutting jigsaw blade, with no splintering of the finished surface, but not easy to keep a straight cut. This was OK for the job I did as the cut edges were not visible (around a sink, and butted against a wall) - if they are visible I'd say get a professional to do it.

Duncan

Reply to
Duncan