RSJs above windows

Apologies if this has been asked before, and apologies if it is a ridiculous question, but is it safe to drill into the RSJ above, for instance, a kitchen window, in order to fit some brackets to put a blind up?
Common sense tells me it is probably OK, but I realise this RSJ is load bearing, and I'm no builder!!
Cheers
John

I have, with no apparent problems. As long as you're drilling holes for a few screws and not cutting through a substantial section of the RSJ you'll be all right.
Steve
shazzbat mumbled

You'll have a problem drilling into the RSJ (Rolled Steel Joist)
-- zaax
"zaax" made a very valid point:

I wondered if the OP meant a concrete lintel. These are also difficult to drill holes with an ordinary electric drill and masonry bit.
Phil

I don't consider it difficult. I discovered I had RSJs when the masonry drill stopped drilling. I changed to a normal steel drilling bit and drilled through the metal. I have no experience of drilling into concrete lintels, I suppose it would be a problem if you found the reinforcing bars.
Steve
zaax wrote:

Hmmm! I'd of thought the RSJ(if steel)would have had battens knocked into it to accept plasterboard and skimmed over?
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

The reason being???? It's only steel, nothing else and a good quality HSS bit will p**s it, I've drilled countless in my time!
HTH
John