soffit vents above windows

Can somebody tell me if it's okay to put soffit vents above windows or not? (by over I mean in the eave that overhangs a window in a ranch style home). My husband says it's okay and past messages of this group has said it's okay or there is some Uniform Builder's Code regulation (which I could not find on-line) that says it isn't.

Where can I find out for sure? If I called the city building department, would they tell me?

Thanks,

Janet

Reply to
Janet

you say you saw here where others said its ok. your husband says its ok. why do you need another answer? if you dont trust the other answers why would you trust me when i say you should put one there?

call and ask...???

im not sure if this is a troll or not.. very odd post...

randy

Reply to
xrongor

You are venting unconditioned attic air, so why not.

Reply to
m Ransley

I can't speak for building codes, but I once had a house with a big attic fan and soffit vents over the windows. When the fan was on with the windows open (as they had to be to provide incoming air) attic air was being recirculated through the house. My suggestion is to *not* have soffit vents near openable windows.

Reply to
Bob

If possible, I try not to put soffit vents over windows or doors--just because they don't look good. However, there is no regulation related to their placement.

Bruce A.& B.Construction Houston, Texas

Bruce

Janet wrote in news:410e2241$0$18461$ snipped-for-privacy@auth.newsreader.octanews.com:

Thanks for the responses. There is one room on the west side of house that gets really hot (the other rooms are confortable). We do have an attic fan (on the east side), but we're pretty sure there's not enough intake area (right now gable vents and 1 soffit vent that was a trial). I'm not sure there's any place that the vents would look good, but if it's not above the windows, we'll have to put in less to keep it symmetrical. Plus if we don't put one over the west most window, the next place is getting really close to the gutter.

A couple of years ago when we first thought about doing this, I could have sworn there were some messages about code requiring vents not being over windows, but I can't seem to find them now. We will try to put them away from the windows anyway.

I did call the city building department, but the line was either busy or I got a secretary that didn't know.

Reply to
Janet

I can't believe there is such a code at least around my area (Will County, Illinois) because they sell continuous vent as well as the individual ones.

Reply to
Rich

  1. You can't have too many soffit vents.

  1. Put 'em everywhere - including over the windows.

Reply to
JerryMouse

All the new homes I've seen being built use continuous ones that go right across the whole house, including windows. Those together with a ridge vent are the best solution, IMO.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

I'd suggest the following soffit venting system. It's a new product that far exceeds older individual vents.

Pj

Reply to
PJx

replying to Janet, Clint wrote: I do not install soffit vents above any window. If the house catches fire one of the first things the firefighters do is break out the windows. If there is shooting flames coming out the window the whole from the soffit vent allows the flame to reach the attic immediately. Catching fire to the attic.

Reply to
Clint

Do you really think Janet is still waiting after *THIRTEEN YEARS* for your advice? Why can't you HomeMoaners posters read *dates*?

"the whole from the soffit vent" ? The whole what?

Reply to
Sam Hill

Not to mention that reason for not installing soffit vents above windows is, IMO, pretty lame. If the house is compromised to the point that flames high enough to reach the soffit are coming out the windows, I doubt it's going to make much difference. And that whole scenario is a 6 sigma event in my world. Around here they use continuous soffit vents, it passes code, no problems. That's what I have on my house.

Reply to
trader_4

When I had my roof replaced I went from gable end inlet vents and box vents on the roof to continuous soffit inlet vents and a continuous ridge vent. I blocked the gable end vents and added foam baffles from the soffits to above the insulation. (That is a really sucky job in mid-summer. It's no wonder my roofer quoted me a ridiculous price to do it.)

I agree with the 6 sigma reference. I'm not going make my attic venting less efficient on the chance that a black swan might fly by.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

replying to Chet Hayes, John s Williams wrote: Perhaps a fire code in some municipalities

Reply to
John s Williams

replying to Janet, John s Williams wrote: Perhaps a fire code in some municipalities

Reply to
John s Williams

replying to Chet Hayes, John s Williams wrote: Perhaps a fire code in some municipalities

Reply to
John s Williams

replying to Janet, John s Williams wrote: Perhaps a fire code in some municipalities

Reply to
John s Williams

Good God Almighty, a 14 year old post and you come up with the wishy washy answer "Perhaps a fire code in some municipalities".

How did you find a 14 year old post and why did you bother to reply with a pointless nonanswer?

Reply to
catalpa

replying to Sam Hill, SteveH wrote: Don't be an a**. One of the advantages of maintaining a forum online is that the answers are archived for future searches. I suppose you also tell people to search the forum before asking questions.

Reply to
SteveH