soffit vents above windows

replying to John s Williams, Sha wrote: My 2 cents...in Australia...10 years ago and maybe now, we are apparently not to vent above windows...I don't know why though. Am online trying to find out.

Reply to
Sha

if shooting flames are coming out of windows I don't think it really matters if the attic catches fire. Just sayin.

Reply to
JG

I do know of a case where it happened, and worked with some of the people involved.

These were 3 story apartments. A third floor occupant had a mattress fire. Thinking quickly (but not too well) they pushed the smoldering mattress out the window. When it hit fresh air it flared, and caught the attic on fire through the soffit. The flames spread through the attic and there were some deaths.

A rare event, to be sure.

Reply to
TimR