OT: PC Power Supply

Page 1 of 2

I have just replaced my PC Motherboard because my old one was self booting upon switch on. Even with no wires attached at all with the exception of the main power cables it switched on when power was applied.
Now I find that my new motherboard is doing exactly the same thing.
Could it be that the power supply has a fault which causes it to do this....?
I feel I have spent money for nothing.
James

The power button maybe stuck in its hole or become faulty. ;-)

Forgot to mention the reset might be doing it?
George wrote:

reset switch or the power switch cannot be the problem.
The "problem" must be on the motherboard. It could be a misplaced jumper but the odds are that it is just a bios setting.
--
Sue

wrote in message

I refer you to my other post. :-)

You can adjust the settings in the BOIS for mains on or off or last state when power applied etc...
Usually done by hitting the DEL or F1 or F2 keys during start-up..
--
Tony Sayer

George wrote:

--
Sue

I would guess he means the power cables and straps? after all it wouldn't fire up without the power switch attached. ;-)
George wrote:

The ATX power switch is very far removed from the "big red switch" of old.
The power supply contains an auxiliary supply that is always on, when the mains input is present.
If the BIOS is set to automatic boot on power restore, motherboard circuitry will detect the presence of the auxiliary supply and send a start signal to the main supply - much in the same way that the "power switch" does.
--
Sue

Read the damn post again, its doing it on both boards
Tsk!
George wrote:

--
Sue

Sue, I would like to thank you and all the other contributors who replied to my thread. Sue, you were the first to get the problem solved for me. The board in both cases was an ASUS and both have Phoenix Bios on. Both boards did have the Bios set incorrectly and as soon as it was altered, both boards worked perfectly. I never usually play around with Bios settings for fear of upsetting something that I know nothing about but will remember this saga for the rest of my life. Thanks again James
the_constructor wrote:

YVW. But there is nothing special in my suggestion arriving first. People respond as and when they read the post and the way news messages disseminate means that many can be answering "first", as far as they know. The main thing is that people are willing to stick their neck out and try to help.
Glad you have it sorted.
--
Sue

adjust. Experiment with an old machine and make notes of what you did so it can be undone.
--
Tony Sayer

Yes and no. Alter some of the settings (I'm thinking chipset settings etc.) and you can brickifiy your PC, so you just get a black screen when you power on, so certainly be careful.

And that is simply solved by using the CMOS reset jumper for a few seconds ...
Andy Burns wrote:

Erm, not always. It is possible, with some settings on some (usually the more expensive) motherboards to make alterations that cause permanent irreperable damge to the mobo/processor/memory.
Worse (?) on some (particularly laptops) even setting a password is irreversible*, if you forget it.. * other than at a workshop.
There is also the rather more amusing thing to do - set a password using a foreign (eg French) keyboard and then take it elsewhere to use, where the keyboard is different (eg Russian)....
--
Sue

the_constructor wrote:

Well done Sue -
George's apology will be along soon, no doubt....
Steve Walker wrote:

OP had changed the power supply. I hadn't even considered that he might have changed the mobo. Luckily, it didn't affect the solution to the problem.
Posters get a mental image of what the situation is, from the post. Sometimes it's right. Sometimes it's wrong. Sometimes it's very wrong. No one should get criticised for giving the best answer they can based on their mental image. We need people that will stick their neck out and venture their thoughts. Next time, it could be my turn to have totally the wrong end of the stick..
--
Sue

Yes, it will. And obviously is. The power switch is not connected via the main 20/24 pin connector, is it? And that's all he has connected.
There is no difference between "power switch not connected" and "power switch not pushed" as long as the switch is not stuck. It's a momentary push button.
However, as previously stated, a BIOS setting that says "start when power applied" or "revert to previous on/off state" (the latter assuming a previous state of "on") will not even *look* at the power switch state; it'll just turn the system on.