Glass Fronted Outset Gas Fire - Flavel - The Renoir

Has anyone get one of these outset gas fires? If so, is it efficient, and have you had it for several years, trying to get an idea of how long it will last? Will be using it on a regular basis. Read somewhere on this site that life expectancy of a glass fronted fire may only be about 3 years!! Some views please before I go out and buy one.

Anyone get another make of glass fronted fire thats good?

Thanks Janet

Reply to
janbennett

I've a Valor glass fronted fire - its been in for years and I've had no problems. The only thing has been the glass itself becoming stained (on the inside) due to the heat, and this is impossible to remove. So if you do get one, clean the glass regularly to stop any build up.

Not many moving parts in these fires - not really sure why they should only last 3 years - but then I've only used the Valor fire so have no experience beyond this.

Get one with 'coal effect' they don't need cleaning out and look good on dark cold winter nights (I'm an old romantic at heart!)

Reply to
Chris

Are you referring to the life expectancy of the glass front or the whole fire? I have had a Baxi glass-fronted gas fire with back boiler for about 20 years. The inside of the glass tends to become discoloured with a white deposit. A plumber said that there was nothing to get this off the glass but I tried ceramic hob cleaner and it worked fine. Hope this helps.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

thanks everyone, nice to get a response.

Reply to
janbennett

Thanks Chris, probably get it wrong about only lasting 3 years. Is the flickering effect visible when the fire is on a low setting????

Thanks

Reply to
janbennett

On the lowest setting the 'fake' coals still glow red but you can't see any flame, the fire needs to be tweaked up a bit more to see the flames.

I believe that you can also buy 'fake' logs to replace the 'fake' coals.

The fires do look good IMHO.

Reply to
Chris