Central Gas power flush

Dear All

Recently my central gas system had got some blockage problems - radiators not heated up. Since we have a contract with British gas and they came and 'fixed' it temperarily - changing some valves etc. They advised that we need a power flush to fix the problem for long term, and quoted £550 for our

3-bed semi for the job (in Hertfordshire) .

My questions:

  1. Since we have been in the house for just 4 years and don't know when/if this was done last, we would like to know how often do we need power flushing in general ?
  2. Is Birtish Gas quotation fair?

Very many thanks in advance.

PL

Reply to
Pete Lodd

Power flush - not had one in 45 years. British Gas - nuff said.

Reply to
Stickems.

We have a new system inc valves. I can tell you the valves are rubbish. The accuracy on the temp controlling of them is usless.

Reply to
John & Lisa

You should not ever need one if central heating inhibitor is added to a clean system and checked every few years.

I would expect you can get a good plumber to knock £200 off that quote. Try the local papers and ring around.

HTH

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Or DIY with a hire one for £100

Reply to
EricP

"Pete Lodd" wrot:

Answer to question 2: In my area British Gas charge about £200 for a power flush, which seems a bit steep for half a day's work, so £550 in my view is extortionate. As with any work it is advisable to get several estimates.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist